Author Topic: different shaped flutes on a bowl gouge?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
different shaped flutes on a bowl gouge?
« on: January 13, 2022, 02:05:00 PM »
i know they are only tiny in variation but does it change the behavior of the gouge that much???

i've just had to buy a new bowl gouge from the Axminster bog standard range with a slightly more bulbous shaped flute that the old "home of woodturning" one that has a fairly narrow flute to be fair.

they did let me try it out on a lathe but i just wondered if any others noticed significant differences during use.

both mine have a simple 40 or 45 degree grind or whatever it actually is. no fingernails or anything complicated.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: different shaped flutes on a bowl gouge?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:20:07 PM »
Not used those that you mentioned but do have various makes of bowl gouges the only thing that I had to get use to was working with a full length tool again as I had got use to the ones I had after many sharpening's ;D
But then I have different grinds on mine depending on what I am turning and the style of the bowl

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:04:03 PM »
I also found a narrow flute a bit problematic but it may be fine in more experienced hands! I replaced it with a crown gouge with a wider flute which seems better suited to me.

The type of grind will make a big difference though so maybe worth trying a different one on the old gouge?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 09:13:04 PM »
Hello Steve...have you read the fascinating article by Roy Child, on the development of the bowl gouge and specifically of the design of the flute. I reckon it would make interesting reading for you (and for anyone else interested in this.

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute2.htm

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 06:10:31 AM »
Because of the many miles of shavings and resulting sharpening's that a bowl gouge typically goes through it is probably the shortest lived of any cutting tool. Which means that it is also the most often replaced tool and the one that has ½" of flute left for you to experiment with different grinds etc.

As you say there are quite significant subtle differences in the flute, I personally started with the Robert Sorby range of bowl gouges and find I prefer that tool option, not necessarily because it is better, just because I know how it feels when working properly so can more easily detect and correct when it isn't. My set are 55° somewhere between fingernail and Elsworth for dry fairly "traditional" bowl shapes, and 40/40 for wet fairly deep section bowls with the addition of a 60° traditional'ish grind for getting the last few cuts to the centre. All are Sorby, but I have been playing with a borrowed Crown which I am learning to like as well.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 12:35:04 PM »
this is the one i have enjoyed using for about 7 years or more and the one i just bought does not have the straight sides of the flute and it is in fact slightly wider so the tips of the flute are further apart looking more like the diagram...

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 01:06:48 PM »
The 3 described profiles are V U or Parabolic though they have slight variations of each as well.

Looks like you have changed from a U to a parabolic
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)