Author Topic: WANTED: Large capacity lathe.  (Read 2773 times)

Offline PhilipW

• iron
WANTED: Large capacity lathe.
« on: September 06, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »
Hello all,

I am looking for a meaty lathe for use in my sculpture workshop (www.philipjameswalker.com).

It will need to turn pieces 450 mm diameter minimum and 700 mm between centers. I appreciate there are only a few lathes with this capacity and I may have to start with something smaller until I can afford to buy new if I cannot find one second hand, but thought it worth asking here.

Thanks, Philip.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
Re: WANTED: Large capacity lathe.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 09:00:26 AM »
Hello Philip - sorry I cant help with your enquiry - but I just wanted to say how much I like your work  :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 12:58:16 PM »
The dimensions that you are quoting are well within the limits of many lathes, unless you mean cms? 2nd hand look for perhaps a graduate, or one of the lathes with a swivel head. My lathe, a maxi1 can turn a lot bigger than you are requiring for example with it's head swivelled (i've turned 900mm diameter) and 950 mm between centres. Others are comparable so you should be able to find what you want.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 02:17:48 PM »
If I am interpreting what you say correctly, you want a lathe that can turn, between centres, a piece of wood that is 700mm long and 450 in diameter?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 02:54:06 PM »
I suspect you may be far better off buying an old English made machine. Something like a Wadkin RU if you can find one.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/wadkin/

I seem to remember that someone on here bought one a while back?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 02:58:39 PM »
I suspect you may be far better off buying an old English made machine. Something like a Wadkin RU if you can find one.

that would be ideal but they are invariably 3 phase and never  cheap. My frien=d has a wadkin that can turn 8' over the end and between centres turn up to 10' I think it is. Got an electric bed you can open up to accomodate larger diameters. I think kit cost him over 10 grand 15 years ago. Which one has Ricgard Findlay got? That's a biggy too.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline PhilipW

• iron
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 10:59:21 AM »
Hello Philip - sorry I cant help with your enquiry - but I just wanted to say how much I like your work  :)

Thank you, I appreciate it.

If I am interpreting what you say correctly, you want a lathe that can turn, between centres, a piece of wood that is 700mm long and 450 in diameter?

That is correct, or along those lines. So something like a Vicmarc vl300 with a bed extension, I just can't afford 6k right now.

that would be ideal but they are invariably 3 phase and never  cheap. My frien=d has a wadkin that can turn 8' over the end and between centres turn up to 10' I think it is. Got an electric bed you can open up to accomodate larger diameters. I think kit cost him over 10 grand 15 years ago. Which one has Ricgard Findlay got? That's a biggy too.

Pete

I have been looking at old wadkin, they fetch a lot of money. 3 phase is an option as I can have it wired in if needed.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 11:25:06 AM »
Hi Philip,  It may be an idea to have a quick word with Paul Hannaby on this platform. I think he is aware of a couple of heavy lathes in the Worcester area. Things like a Stuby and a VB36.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline PhilipW

• iron
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
Hi Philip,  It may be an idea to have a quick word with Paul Hannaby on this platform. I think he is aware of a couple of heavy lathes in the Worcester area. Things like a Stuby and a VB36.  --  Julian

Thanks Julian, I will do that.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »

Thanks Julian, I will do that.

Not sure the VB36 that is for sale here would be for you as it is a bowl turner only / Faceplate machine it does not have a bed or tailstock

Offline Amanda

• iron
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 10:52:23 PM »
Hello Phillip
I have a maxi 1 for sale on the forum it has outrigger included it's worth a look

Amanda

Offline Philip Davis

• iron
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »
Posted a reply this morning, but don't see it.
I am considering selling my whole setup.
But I am in no hurry and given the lathe list price of £5,500, plus all the rest of the equipment, hope for an all in price of £5,000.
This is what we call a "Turnkey" system for someone setting up and prepared to invest.
Take it home plug it all in and off you go.

List of Workshop Equipment
Zebrano Lathe ZX1000 3hp, list price £5,500 with 3 faceplates, 6/12/14 inch Tool Rests, 4inch Chuck with
Dovetail Jaws type A&B and Engineering
24plus Turning Gouges and Scrapers
Hope Sanding System
8inch Bench Grinder&Axminster Sharpening System
Axminster Craft 1hp Dust Extractor
Wooden Work Bench 5'6”x 1'10” with Vice and Storage Shelf
Bench Mounted Band Saw 12”x 6” and Pillar Drill on 4'x 2'4” Bench
with Storage Shelf under
Wooden Hand Crafted Tool Chest 3'x 2'4”x 1' with separate fitted Draws
Containing Saw, Planes, Chisels, Squares, Hand Drills etc.
Metal Tool Box with various Tools
Separate Box with many Spanners including Adjustable
Wooden Tool Box containing various Metal Working Tools
Files, Shears, Scriber, Centre Punch etc.
Orbital Sander, Jig Saw, Dremel type Rotary Tool, Mains and Cordless Drills
Heat Gun, Hot Melt Glue Gun etc.

Offline Paul Maddock

• iron
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:04 AM »
Hi

Are you still looking for a heavy duty lathe? I have put my VB36 with the long bed and tailstock on the forum. It runs on 240v and I am based in East Sussex.

Paul Maddock

Offline Lennie

• iron
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 05:57:38 PM »
Wow, love your work.