Author Topic: Japanese Turning Tools  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Japanese Turning Tools
« on: January 05, 2022, 04:52:34 PM »
Have any of you made or bought any? They seem to be particular to the turner that makes them in Japan. At least from some of the videos I’ve seen. Some are simple right angled scrapers and others have some similarities to a hook tool but are clearly different. It might be nice to try one or two but I’m not sure you’d get the same experience using a western lathe and tool post etc?

Online Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Japanese Turning Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 06:36:00 AM »
Can't say I have seen them or come up against any turning problems using UK tools

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 08:46:43 AM »
Traditional japanese turning is very basic by comparison to wetern turning. Jam chucks are the norm, the tool rest is often just a block of wood and the cutting tools are mostly hook tools, used on both the outside and the inside of bowls for example. The turning is done on the opposite side to western turning, The turne does use scrapers but rarely.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 12:04:39 PM »
Traditional japanese turning is very basic by comparison to wetern turning. Jam chucks are the norm, the tool rest is often just a block of wood and the cutting tools are mostly hook tools, used on both the outside and the inside of bowls for example. The turning is done on the opposite side to western turning, The turne does use scrapers but rarely.

Pete

It may interest you to watch a few YouTube videos as you are mistaken on several points. You will see that Japanese lathe work is done in both forward and reverse, not just on “the opposite side” as you suggest. The tool rests I’ve seen are not simply a block of wood but a purpose made wooden rest with a couple of significant features. As I alluded to, some of the tools look similar to western hook tools but are not used in the same manner.  On the videos I’ve watched recently scrapers were used a lot, not rarely as you suggest.

Here’s one type of scraper in use. They also use convex versions on the base of bowls etc.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 12:08:06 PM »
They also make use of old hacksaw blades for use as scrapers.

Take a look at this video and you will see.

https://youtu.be/DqYxnDWmqys

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 12:12:16 PM »
Can't say I have seen them or come up against turning problems using UK tools

May I ask why you would need to “come up against turning problems” before trying something new. ???

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 01:21:21 PM »
Your treating one man's video as a general rule. How many of us use exactly the same tools and techniques for a given operation?
 Some years ago a Japanese Turner demonstrated at one of the AWGB symposiums. His lathe was based on a flat table and his toolrest was a kind of stool. Can't remember which way it revolved or which tools he used for what. I still have quite enough challenges mastering Western turning so, having seen how the wierd kit (to mu eyes anyway) was used I moved on.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »
Your treating one man's video as a general rule. How many of us use exactly the same tools and techniques for a given operation?
 Some years ago a Japanese Turner demonstrated at one of the AWGB symposiums. His lathe was based on a flat table and his toolrest was a kind of stool. Can't remember which way it revolved or which tools he used for what. I still have quite enough challenges mastering Western turning so, having seen how the wierd kit (to mu eyes anyway) was used I moved on.
Brian

You obviously didn’t look at the video, it was a Woman not a man! I’ve also watched a couple of dozen videos featuring different turners not just one.  ;) I was simply asking the question whether anyone had tried these tools.  ::)

You say the strangest things: “How many of us use exactly the same tools and techniques for a given operation?” What on earth has that got to do with my question?  ???

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 07:56:38 PM »

Google AWGB Woodturning Seminar Loughborough 2007 then look for Yasuhiro Satake he was fantastic you will not be disappointed.
                           Regards John 
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 09:30:12 PM »
It amazes me how many people come up with criticisms. I said in TRADITIONAL Japanese turning. For any of you who have actually done any serious research into traditional turning you will see that what I said is factual. I am well aware that there are videos of japanese turners using different, more modern, western styles of turning but that is not what I was referring to. I am getting just a tad fed up with people who seem to want to find faiult with posts without doing the appropriate research. Having studied turning around the world and actually been to Japan I do have a little bit of knowledge on the matter. Last post on this matter for me. Please do your research some where other than You Tube and Wikipaedia before making derogatory comments.
Bye

Pete
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:03:34 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 11:12:56 AM »

Well said Pete  :) Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 11:32:42 AM »

Google AWGB Woodturning Seminar Loughborough 2007 then look for Yasuhiro Satake he was fantastic you will not be disappointed.
                           Regards John

Yes I’ve seen that, very interesting.

It amazes me how many people come up with criticisms. I said in TRADITIONAL Japanese turning. For any of you who have actually done any serious research into traditional turning you will see that what I said is factual.

Pete

Incorrect, look at the link for the video of TRADITIONAL Japanese turning and then retract you statement about scrapers etc!

We can all see your original reply and then look at the link I posted and draw our own conclusions.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:35:14 AM by Bill21 »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »
Play nicely gentlemen  :)

I have no interest in turning Japanese style, quite happy with my lathe / tool setup, have experimented with borrowed carbides, didn't like them (exception hollowing tools) I have no wish to start cutting underneath the piece where the forces in play are pulling the tool inwards making the toolrest less or at least differently useful.

Most importantly I don't have the space for more tools or the mental capacity for re-learning techniques that just achieve the same result.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 01:45:53 PM »
I have no wish to start cutting underneath the piece where the forces in play are pulling the tool inwards making the toolrest less or at least differently useful.

I’ve watched perhaps twenty videos recently of traditional Japanese wood Turning. I was unsure at times exactly what I was seeing until I stopped and rewatched some segments. Unlike western methods they seem to cut the wood with the lathe running forwards or backwards. It all makes sense once you understand the direction the lathe is running in but on a small screen it’s not always obvious!  ;)