Author Topic: New life for a gold favourite  (Read 959 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
New life for a gold favourite
« on: November 26, 2021, 03:49:26 PM »
I have been using one of Sorby's gold, Rolls Royce, 1/2" spindle gouges since they first hit the market and I wrote a magazine review about them. I have noticed  that it's ferrule has been having far too many close encounters with the back of the toolrest just lately.... and, strangely, the flute seems to have shrunk as well.
 Time for a replacement me thinks....
Seek out the catalogue ....
Find price.....
Contact RSPCA about rehoming the resultant kitten.....
Cry myself to sleep!!!
I had just about settled on biting the bullet, and forgoing a couple of months pocket money, when I had a last minute brainwave. After I had recovered I cut off the wooden handle and ground the gold plating away from the butt of the tool before chamfering it almost as far as the centreline. Another piece of bar, of similar diameter, was also heavily chamfered in preparation for a trip to see a welder friend of mine. Neither of us had any idea how the high speed steel to mild steel joint would react to the deep welding process but, hey ho, nothing to lose.
We wrapped the flute in a wet rag to protect its heat treatment and went ahead and welded the two bits together (That's the Royal 'We', incidentally,). Once cool I ground the excess weld back to the tool's diameter and closely inspected for any sign of heat cracking. I followed up by trying to break the joint over the edge of my bench.
 All appears to be well so the extended tool is now fitted into one of those metal handles (I'm actually not a fan but it's beggars and choosers time!) and my golden oldie is good for another year or two of ' normal' usage. When the flute gets down to about an inch I will probably regrind it lopsided and put it to use as a hollowing gouge in the style of Stuart Mortimer.
I hope I don't have to waste the piece of bar left once the flute has completely disappeared!!!
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: New life for a gold favourite
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 11:29:42 AM »
That’s sounds like a good solution if you have a tame welder around!  ;D

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 02:02:26 PM »
It is with regret and deep sadness that I must report the death of a dear and much loved friend. After a long and productive life Goldie finally passed away in peace and dignity yesterday afternoon.
She has had some serious usage since her recent surgery, described above, and suffered a small fall onto the workshop floor in the morning. Later in the day, I felt a slight change in her attitude and she calmly breathed her last as she gently parted company with  her recent transplant.
Now my knowledge of metallurgy could be written on the edge  of a postage stamp but I carried out a post mortem anyway. The break was on the high speed steel side of the weld interface and was crystalline in appearance, like broken cast iron. A shock fracture if (n)ever I saw one! From this I suggest the weld had been successful but the heat had messed up the heat treatment, making the steel harder than before. This, of course, increased the brittleness and the fall followed by the vibration of me foolishly hollowing a piece of Ash was just too much for the old girl and she breathed her last in my hand.
Now I know its not right to speak ill of the dead but I have to admit Goldie was never the same after her surgery. Her new metal handle completely ruined her balance and made her clumpy and difficult to use with any kind of finesse.
May Goldie rest in piece in the great, fur-lined, workshop in the sky secure in the knowledge that she leaves a lasting legacy. She has taught me..... and all you turnyfolk daft enough to still be reading this that welding HSS is just not a good look!
Merry Chrimble to you all
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 04:22:38 PM »
Condolences, I hope the wake goes well …