Author Topic: Record Power CL4  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
Record Power CL4
« on: November 25, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »
With safety in mind I'd like to add a removable control box to my CL4 lathe - RP don't seem to do anything - any ideas welcome.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
Re: Record Power CL4
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
Look inside the control box and identify the make and model of the inverter.
Download the instruction manual from the manufacturer's website.
That will tell you what terminals are available for connecting external controls, and what parameters to set.
If that's too technical, you could try www.newton-tesla.co.uk and see if they can help you.
Duncan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »
If you can get spare switches from RP maybe you could just fit them into a new box and piggy back them to the existing ones? Have you removed the cover from the box to have a look inside? There may be terminal blocks inside you could use. If in doubt though consult an electrician

Offline Alan Wallington

• iron
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 10:19:05 AM »
Dave
This is a very good idea because when turning a large project, with the head stock off centre, it is difficult to gain access to the lathe control box.
It is necessary to replace the cable between the lathe motor and control box with a longer cable. It is possible to remove the on and off buttons and the potentiometer, with the original cables and remount them in small plastic box, with a couple of magnets glued to the base. Then all you have to do is connect a six core cable between the new plastic box and the old control box. If you look at the new RP lathes you will see a similar arrangement. It would be great if RP could provide a modification kit.
Anyway another advantage of this is that you can now add a small wheel to the left of the head stock, as per the CL3 lathe.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 11:05:19 AM »
Dave
It is possible to remove the on and off buttons and the potentiometer, with the original cables and remount them in small plastic box.

I would leave them where they are and buy some new ones. Selling the lathe on at a later date with holes in the control box could put buyers off. A few swiches shouldn’t cost too much.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 09:03:00 PM »
Dave
It is possible to remove the on and off buttons and the potentiometer, with the original cables and remount them in small plastic box.

I would leave them where they are and buy some new ones. Selling the lathe on at a later date with holes in the control box could put buyers off. A few swiches shouldn’t cost too much.
I fitted a remote control box to a CL3 variable speed lathe but I am reluctant to provide details as I know Record Power used a variety of inverters in their control box. The one I did used an WEG CFW inverter.
If you remove the existing switches you will have some holes through which you can feed your remote control cable, so there are no additional holes in the box. Plus you can copy the wiring exactly, without having to work out which lead does what. Then just cover the holes with duct tape  to prevent anything getting in to the inverter. Remember that has three phase voltages and needs to be treated with the greatest respect.
As far as I can remember you cannot wire additional switches in parallel with the existing ones as some are NC (normally closed) and others NO(normally open) so one would prevent the other working.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »
I’d still leave the original switches in place and just disconnect them if needed. A new hole in the back of the case with a proper grommet would be a far more professional looking job than duct tape over old holes! You can still “copy the wiring” if needed. ;) I’d far rather explain to a new owner why the old controls no longer work than why it looks like a dogs breakfast.

The alternative of course is to make up a new cover for the box without any holes - or duct tape!  ;D