Author Topic: Negative rake  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Negative rake
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
That’s a step too far for me. Tools are probably cheaper than ladies shoes anyway?!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how clever some of our members are. I don't have the brain power to workout the whys and wherefores that has happened in this thread. I have always said that I don't do anything clever and it is true. If I find one of my tools is not cutting right I assume it needs sharpening, if it still doen't cut I assume that my technique needs to sharpen up or the tool is ground wrongly in which case example no 2 still applies. It is all about sharpening correctly.

So now you know, if the tool is sharp and the cut still isn't flowing.. you need a box and high heals  ;D ;D ;D
Pete you are obviously obsessed by boxes and high heels, is there anything you want to share with us? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 05:30:01 PM »
Must admit I tried the negative rake and didn't see a lot of differenmce myself. Worls for some though.

Pete
This may sound daft... but I think they work better for taller people, or very short people, it is all about angle and vision lines, having watched a bunch of people using them and puzzling over the mixed results I have concluded average height on average lathe height often do at least as well if not better on a standard scraper design.
I am 6'4" (shrunk a bit with age LOL) and afraid that my height doesn't seem to help, maybe I am the odd one one out. I am 6'3" and it does not work for me, We may be the two oddmen out!
Pete

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »
That last bit was from me, and I am 6'3" and cannot make it work for me, which is why we are the two odd menout

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 06:55:05 PM »
A persons height shouldn’t make any difference provided the lathe is at the correct height? Obviously most products are made for people of average height. If you’re particularly tall the onus is on you to make things fit. Having said that I think OneWay lathes have height adjustment?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 10:55:49 PM »
A persons height shouldn’t make any difference provided the lathe is at the correct height? Obviously most products are made for people of average height. If you’re particularly tall the onus is on you to make things fit. Having said that I think OneWay lathes have height adjustment?

Anyone doing demo's or otherwise using a range of lathes needs to be cautious about straying to far from default lathe heights, I raised mine by 4" about 6 months into lockdown 1, sometime after lockdown 2 I had an hour on a friends stock height lathe unfortunately it took 45 minutes to get used to bending that extra 4". Don't think it matters so much if you regularly work at different heights, but I have lowered mine to 2" overstock as current universe means it is an occasional treat to play on someone else's lathe.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)