Author Topic: Carbide tool help  (Read 1567 times)

Offline TimJester

• iron
Carbide tool help
« on: December 10, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Hi recently purchased a  carbide tool from amazon which has a dog leg handle, bhave tried hollowing with it and it just digs in and ruins my work, any tricks to using these sort of tools or should I just return it until I can afford something better?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Carbide tool help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 10:03:09 PM »
I don't know carbides well, but this "bent" shape is quite common, first rule is move the toolrest out so none of the curve is on it, from the picture that looks like a scraping tool not a cutting one so just below centre is the presentation you are looking for.

I call these shoulder scrapers, they are not designed to hollow out to any depth (though you can on small things) they are for the bit you can't reach with a straight tool.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 10:49:12 PM »
Most good bent hollowing tools have a C shaped end and only the straight part of the shaft should contact the tool rest to prevent the tool twisting. The cutter itself needs to be on the centre line of the shaft.

There are two solutions to your problem. Either put another bend in the tool to bring the cutter back to the centre line, or you could make and fit an “outrigger” to the tool to stop it twisting.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 10:58:13 PM »
An example of some tools with outriggers. When both shafts are on the tool rest, in theory the tip is not able to twist. Outriggers can be fitted in several ways, commonly welded or bolted to the main shaft. DIY solutions are easily done if you have the tools and material. Alternatively return the tool as you suggested and buy a better shaped model.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »
A larger diameter handle will give you a bit more leverage to counteract the twist. It's not an ideal or complete solution but is relatively easy and might help.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
Another thing seen on some commercial metal handled versions is a short side handle that comes out at 90°.

Offline TimJester

• iron
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice and guidance, I will be returning the stuff and being a bit mechanically minded will try and make myself something, I'll let you know how I get on 😂

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 09:48:49 PM »
They aren’t difficult to make. For hollowing, the little 6mm cupped carbide inserts work well. I’ve found the best fasteners to use are Torx insert screws.