Author Topic: Ebay lathe, is there anything I should know?  (Read 910 times)

Offline 808raver

• iron
Ebay lathe, is there anything I should know?
« on: November 07, 2021, 02:08:07 AM »
Hi Guys
I have been turning for a few years on a Ferm FHB940 lathe, this was something I picked up for a few quid but lately a few things have gone wrong, some I have fixed but I've been thinking it's not worth keep fixing.
So I have just bought a new (to me) lathe (again not much money) but this one is a bit strange, it says it's just a wood lathe but I think it might be both metal and wood? maybe not but it does have a weird boring attachment as well as a tailstock.
I wonder if members could be so kind and have a look and give me their opinion before I pick it up, it's cash on collection so if it's missing something or it's not great then I might be able to get out of it.
I've tried looking up the lathe but I can't find anything so far. Thank you in advance...
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinnacle-Excel-Wood-lathe-in-used-condition-with-extras-/275011804856?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=nzs%252F1cLtrW9YXIjFXhjKC0aX%252FKo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Ebay lathe, is there anything I should know?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:29:47 AM »
that is a copy lathe...

looks very similar to this one..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144180774126?hash=item2191d804ee:g:ws4AAOSwMX5cxuHE

i'd say the one you bought is rather rusty and possibly missing cutters for copying.

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 10:54:20 AM »
Thank you, I've never come across one of these before but I'm sure I'll be able to take the guide off if it's in the way. Thank you for your help :) 
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
The four jaw independent chuck wouldn't hold anything of any size securely due to the jaw design and the precision combination chuck is pretty antiquated by modern standards so you would probably want to buy a decent scroll chuck and a few sets of jaws if you bought that lathe.

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »
Thank you for the reply, I have just been to have a look and I'm not sure I will go for it, the bearings are noisy but there doesn't seem to be any play but will need changing. My biggest reservation is the drive spindle, it doesn't have a morse taper inside, it has a ID 5/8ths 12 tpi thread and a OD of 1 1/4 12 TIP. None of my existing tools will fit and I've looked for adapters and I can't seem to find any. I think it might be more hassle than it's worth but I am a novice when it comes to other lathes.   
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent