Author Topic: club nights  (Read 1145 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
club nights
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »
We have had three club night since reopening, with around two thirds our usual numbers. Have other clubs found a drop in numbers since returning?
Ron

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: club nights
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
I don't belong to a club but would think a fair amount of people are still reluctant to go out and about , more so with the rising rates of infections and death at around 100 a day  :(

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »

Hi Ron,
            We had our first meeting last month 7th October yes our numbers were down by about 40% we also had the problem that a number of members had not paid their AWGB fees when this was pointed out the usual response was "Oh I didn't know I had to pay how do I do it" when asked did they receive their "Revolutions Magazine" and it was in there "I never Noticed it" was the usual reply.
                              Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
We’ve had two meetings so far and yes, numbers are down.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »
We've had 3 meetings now. The first, with an on line demo was very low attendance, but the last one really picked up with a good turn out + a number watching from home. The day session was also very well attended.

Hopefully things will continue to pick up, but as has been said earlier rising infection rates may mean people will stay away.

john

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:19 PM »
We have had three club night since reopening, with around two thirds our usual numbers. Have other clubs found a drop in numbers since returning?
Ron
Herts and Beds Woodturners have had three meetings. The first  in August, was a live demo by Les Thorne and we had about 55 participants (some from neighbouring clubs).  For the September and August meetings (a live demo and a Club Night meeting), we have had 35 participants. Next meeting is a demo by Terry Smart (Chestnut Finishes) on 9th Nov.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 04:07:26 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 03:04:26 PM »
We have had 2 meetings so far and yes numbers are down by about 40%

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 05:48:14 PM »
Thanks, it is not just us then!
I have looked at past numbers, and over a 15 month period we seem to have a turnover of 12 to 15 members, since reopening we have had a few new members , and irregular attendance from the regulars, so it may improve with time. We get a drop in numbers this time of year any way
Here's hoping that things get better soon.
Ron

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »
We (Cheam) have had 3 meetings so far. One a club night, the second an AGM and club member demos and the third an IRD from Ed Oliver.

Numbers were down in all cases.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 09:26:10 AM »
Kennet and Avon woodturning club that meets in Trowbridge seems to have bucked the trend somewhat. Although we are a  relatively small club compared to some we continued to have monthly meetings via zoom all through the lockdown period, indeed these were so successful that we started meeting twice a month, once just for discussion evenings.
We have now had 3 meetings back at the hall and numbers are about the same as we have always had, one or two faces missing but then there always is but we have had an influx of new members too. 4 this month!

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »
We at Derwent Woodturning club have had 3 meetings since 15th September when we restated our meetings for the first 2 the turnout was low, but we expected that, we are a relatively small club. Our last meeting was the AGM and I’m pleased to say that two thirds of our members attended which allowed us  complete all issues.We have 5 potential new members, and the committee are looking forward to forging on into 2022 with renewed vigour and positive feedback from members.