Author Topic: Record Power CL1 upgrade?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Schurchy

• copper
Record Power CL1 upgrade?
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
Hi All

I've been thinking about upgrading my Record Power CL1 to VS and was wondering whether anyone had used Haydock Converters and if so how much work would be involved from my end once I received the upgrade kit? Obviously I'll be speaking to the guys at Haydock but just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience.

Thanks

Steve
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline Redtails5

• copper
Re: Record Power CL1 upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
Hi
I was going to go down this road with a cl 3 lathe
There are a number of issues/questions you have to ask yourself ( 1) how good mechanically is my lathe are the bearings fit for purpose? Is it a phospher bronze. Like on the cl3 is the back bearing sound? Is there wear on the shaft , how much these questions have to be thought about due to
The higher rev range/loads on that bearing and the shaft
 i do not know what a converter would expand your rev range
Also how much increase in horsepower would it give you?
(2) at the end of the day what are going to be the benifits of going down this road when compared to outlay?
I cannot answer these questions for you have to think carefully about these questions, at the end of the day what kind of product do you want to turn is the lathe up to your ambitions?
If you do go to haydock converters they will explain to you what is involved and what is the.best approach.
Good luck

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
Many thanks for you reply. My lathe, although now 20 years old shows no sign of wear as far as I know. I did get it second hand about ten years ago and so far has coped well with the load sizes I've wanted throw at it. I really only want the VS addition due to me constantly changing belt pulleys during turning but more because I want the luxury of being able to find the optimum speed for  those 'out of balance' pieces of stock.

Steve
Steve

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:52:48 PM »
Hi
I would suggest that both your bearings maybe well past there sell by date to be honest this all depends on have the bearings had a hard life? Have they been adjusted properly
What kind of work has been done on this machine ?
If you talk of doing work that is not concentric in shape or is being turned off centre you may open a can of that will not let you put the lid back on.
A simple check i imagine it has a oiler over the front bearing
Take your chuck/ face plate off so you.can now see the spindle and the bearing face put some oil in the cup over the bearing start the lathe up and what should appear if the bearing is sound and well maintained is a thin black line betwween the bearing and the spindle if it just runs out you
Have problem and would then borrow dial test indicator put the chuck back on put something on the bed.bars get some kind of a leaver and try to lift the chuck up when d t i put on top of the chuck if you have wear the chuck will move in a vertical movement.
Its an old lathe how.much abuse has it.suffered?
 Crunch time if you decide to buy a haddock converter or any other brand you would expect to pay between 300 pounds and 500 pounds is the lathe worth it ?

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »
Hi Again

The CL1 and CL2 don't have the oiler that was added for the CL3 and 4 larger lathes. So mine has the sealed bearings and maintenance free. Before I got it, the owner only turned a handful of small items before deciding turning wasn't for him, so I got a fantastic deal on an almost new lathe. I sold my previous lathe which I bought from new (Record Power DML36, so the smaller brother to the CL1) for about the same price I bought the CL1 which also came with a Vicmark chuck, some tools to add to my armoury and a good number of turning blanks. If it hadn't have been such a good deal, I probably would have waited some time and upgraded to a VS lathe later.

Anyway, I'll think some more and speak to the Haydock guys before making a final decision.

Cheers
Steve
Steve

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:11:24 AM »
Hi
That history is interesting , good luck keep searching asking questions and at least you will arrive at informed decision
The more you know the better the buy?
Like i say i was going down that path and spoke to a guy at haydock converters to be honest i would have gone with them there was no used car sales man giving it the big i am
Good luck

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 05:19:22 PM »
Speed Genie do kits for the CL 1

About £550

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
I have no experience of conversions but unbiased logic suggests that at the figures being mentioned here you would be far better going the extra mile and getting a lathe that was designed for VS right from the drawing board.
Brian

Offline john twiname

• iron
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 08:12:52 PM »
Hi I did a conversation on cl1for my club member and he is over the moon with it,you have to watch the mounting bolts are in same place as the one he got wasent but easy fix,and as for the bearing things you've been talking about,you would renew your drive belt any way and to do this you have to take the bearing and shaft out so I renewed the bearings and the belt fitted the conversion on and he virtually had a recon ed machine with new bigger moter with the v speed new bearing and drive belt perfect and it was under £500 so don't be frightened go for it

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 11:15:19 PM »
I have no experience of conversions but unbiased logic suggests that at the figures being mentioned here you would be far better going the extra mile and getting a lathe that was designed for VS right from the drawing board.
Brian

I tend to agree. If the conversion was only a couple of hundred then it may be worth it.
A friend of mine did go down this route but ended up replacing it anyway with a much better lathe. I’d also be interested in what the warranty is on the inverter as if this goes wrong it could be expensive to replace.