Author Topic: Tool rests  (Read 976 times)

Offline V8-108

• iron
Tool rests
« on: September 09, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
My second hand lathe came with just one tool rest that I have soldiered on with for a while....but I'm beginning to think that it is causing me a few problems as I try to learn. It has an amount of pitting and minor dings along it's (12") length and I am having difficulty moving tools along a workpiece smoothly. I had thought it was just my inexperience, but I'm now fairly sure that the poor surface of the tool rest is having an impact. I have had a look around the forum but as yet can't really find anything about this subject.....are tool rests something that are occasionally over looked (probably especially by newbies like me) and that they really need to be in good condition to give you half a chance of turning out a decent job?
I am going to try to "dress" the working surface of the rest and see how that turns out, but I am also in the market for a short tool rest and I may well find that once I have the new one, things may get a little easier. Is the surface of the rest as important as I am thinking, or am I over stating the problem?

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Tool rests
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 04:51:01 PM »
You are right about a pitted tool rest, and one gummed up with wood dust etc. They are usually soft cast iron so careful drawfiling will take off the pits. This is of course only one of the things whch can affect your turning. If you can only get another 12" rest then a hacksaw will be useful!

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
A smooth tool rest is essential if you want turning to bear easy. It is surprising how even a small nick can cause problems.

Sorby do a range of round bar tool rests. Axminster also do the round bar type but also have a range of the more traditional type of tool rest, although some are quite pricey.

I have some of the round bar rests, and I'm not sure whether they are quite as good as the more traditional type that come with the lathe. If you go down that route I would always by a post for each rest.
John

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:14 PM »
I’ve always taken a file or emery cloth to the top of mine as soon as I get them. With traditional rests with a groove at the front I’ve smoothed that part out as well so my finger slides along nicely. The last rest I bought from Axminster even had to take a ride on my milling machine to make it more user friendly.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
Hello V8

Stiles and Bates will make a tool rest to any size (well almost) give them a ring,

Most other turning supply companies will sell them, Axminster, Yandles etc

All the best.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 08:46:29 AM »
I file the top of most of my toolrests when they need it and then sand to keep them smooth. I have one with a hardened edge which so far hasn't needed any fettling as it is still smooth.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 10:41:03 AM »
Some years ago a, now sadly deceased, clubmate, who owned a backstreet garage, made me several tool rests from the centre shaft of shock absorbers. They are hardened and highly polished steel. At my suggestion he welded the post of one of them off-centre to the rest so the Turner has a choice of overhang from the same rest. Simply the best rests I have come across and at least one of them, a tiny detail jobby, is still in daily use.
Brian