Author Topic: Heads up re lathe for sale  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Heads up re lathe for sale
« on: September 04, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »
It's not mine but I did own one some years ago , Very sturdy lathe , And in my opinion a bargain
if you are near ish to Sheffield

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/262874165463850/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A148bc2d8-8bba-49ed-b4d4-661f79495394

Here is another add for the same lathe

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/642637917117911?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A86db2efc-6f8e-4570-9047-b39601b469b5

Note the price difference ,

This lathe is now called a Record Maxi 2 marketed by Record Power

Fill your boots it is a bargain for someone , Full electronice vairiable speed , Big capacity  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:11:53 PM by Wood spinner »

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Heads up re lathe for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
Asclub secretary I get lots of requests to find a home for a relatives equipment, the latest is a Shopsmith, with all the bells and whistles, I see the a £500 thereabouts on ebay. It is inNorwich and I have not seen it running, anyone interested?
Ron

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/642637917117911?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A86db2efc-6f8e-4570-9047-b39601b469b5

This lathe is now called a Record Maxi 1 marketed by Record Power

I don't understand this....this lathe is nothing like a Maxi 1, how can it possibly be mistaken for  Record Power, Chinese made lathe which is green and looks nothing like this?

I suspect that this is a con and there isn't a lathe for sale at all, just an attempt to con some poor woodturner out of some hard earned money!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 11:22:31 PM »
It is a Woodfast lathe not a Record.  An australian make. Not sure where the Maxi 1 bit comes in.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 06:02:16 AM »
I am with Les I suspect a scam, if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

Offline Ianparkin

• iron
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 09:02:52 PM »
They don’t look the same lathe however in both adverts.
Foot stop switch on the stand near the floor on the newton abbot  one

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 09:39:23 AM »
Sorry I got my 1 and 2 mixed up , Its the maxi 2 not one and this is it in record power colours

https://www.recordpower.eu/support/page/product/prod/heavy-cast-iron-variable-speed-lathe-with-outboard-facility

You can see Woodfast under the MAXI 2 sticker

I also dont think it's a scam some people just need to move items on , Just be careful , At £900 its a steal  :)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 09:43:22 AM »

If it is a Scam this should be removed I have sent request to Moderator also surely this post should be in the For Sale topic.
John Smith

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
Are you suggesting I am a scammer ??????????

All I am doing is pointing out a lathe that is for asle on the internet that may benefit a forum user

Can't believe the negativity , I put it in the general section as IT IS NOT MY LATHE AND I AM NOT SELLING IT , GET IT NOW ????

Can you now see that it is the MAXI 2 ?

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »
No suggestions that you are a scammer @Wood Spinner just that it may be a FB scam as there are lots on FB market place. You posted it in the correct forum as it was notification to members and not you selling it.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »

The big red knob is a emergancy stop button

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
As I said before these are not Record lathes and not Maxis as we now know them. Both are the australian original lathes before Record started producing them and labeling them Maxi 2. They will be older lathes and so tghe proice on the sheffield one is not particularily cheap IMHO. The one  in Newton Abbott is perhaps a tad expensive considering its age but again that is my opinion. My Record Maxi 1 cost me a grand 6 years ago for comparison and was one of the earlier ones that wasn't all chinese. As far as I can tell Record don't make these anymore just the Maxi 1. Correct me if I am wrong, and th Maxi one sells new for the price of the 2nd one here. Besy way to see if it is a scam is to pay on reciept. If gthey won;t do it then it is a scam. Personally \i can se it being a genuine deal.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Ianparkin

• iron
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 02:57:39 PM »

The big red knob is a emergancy stop button
Just to be pedantic.. emergency stop buttons generally stay in when pressed that type doesn’t so its a stop switch operated by your foot