Author Topic: Double sided tape  (Read 867 times)

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
Double sided tape
« on: August 25, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
Hi guys ,have you any recommendations for the best double sided tape for chucking small pieces !
Also any good advice on quality lamp holders for table lamps, and good quality sandpaper or rotary sanding pads?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:33:24 AM by chunkey monkey »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Double sided tape
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 09:54:30 AM »
I muse hot glue. Experien ce tught me that double sided tape can come off too easily. Especially if you are using it on a wooden faceplate. Abfasive I het from Richard Kennedy at the The Turners Workshop. I cut it up for pads. Mch easier and cheaper than buying ready made circles.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »
I agree with Pete double sided tape is of very limited value, hot melt glue is far better value. On lamp holders I choose brass ones over plastic, that forces 3 core cable as it needs to be earthed but adds to the quality of the piece.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
I’ve not used it for wood that I remember but on plastic and metal it’s worked very well.

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »
Thanks for your great advice!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 09:03:00 AM »
I stopped using tape some time ago, mostly because I found other ways and means. If you are using tape make certain the finish on both faces to be stuck is flat and clean and get your tape supplies from your local carpet fitters rather than a crafty shop.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 11:27:56 AM »
I still have the remains of the roll of tape I got when the company I worked for closed down in the late 1980’s. It still works well. Sadly it doesn’t have a make on it so I don’t know what to buy when it runs out.