Author Topic: So how much should I charge?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: So how much should I charge?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 08:57:30 AM »
In my experience, BHT, there are a surprising number of potential buyers out there to whom there are far more important things than quality. My sister, for instance, has a large collection of lace bobbins bought at various fairs. Some are beautifully made and some just aren't. I was shocked at this disparity and asked her to show me which, in her eyes, were the best. Colour, design, where she bought it, who she was with and how good a day it had been all appeared to be more important to her than turning quality. So, to her anyway, her collection is based more on memories.... rather like a postcard of a favoured holiday... than quality of the workmanship displayed. It appears to me that its only through another woodyturners eye that quality comes first.
I am aware that this thread was built around a commission but someone ought to point out that all the formulii in the world wont get you Harrods prices at a village fete. Nor gallery prices at a car boot sale. There is far more to this subject than time and consumables. thats why some things in this world just cannot be made viable and why most companies feel the need to have an expensive marketing department!
Brian

Offline Myturn

• iron
  • Freestyle Turning
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
The Bowler Hatted Turner…

Well that’s all interesting but I’m a simple man (quite literally) in fact I have a job writing so the formula ideal ain’t gunna work…I’ll just have a guesstimate  :D

Brian…

This makes a lot of sense, especially that the novice really doesn’t look at that ever so slight tear-out on my bottom.
So if my customer looks very happy with it then we could price adjust at point of sale  ;)

Thanks for all your comments  :)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 03:03:44 PM »
Out of interest, MyTurn, it would be good to see a photo of the bowl and to hear what your client thought regarding price :)

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2021, 10:52:21 AM »
I was asked to make 3 plates/platters for someone who knew my prices for things. We did not discuss prices and I assumed he would pay what I asked for, incorrectly obviously now. As I knew him well I gave a discount and asked for
£75 for all three. From the look on his face I could see he was shocked. I eventually agreed £60 for them and still waited a long time for the money. Lesson learnt. Agree a price beforehand.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 02:19:45 PM »
Or don't take commisions! Just make stuff and offer it for sale at your chosen price. A straight yes please or wallk away and no disappointment to either party!
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 04:12:24 PM »
If I do commissioned work I always ask for at least a 50% deposit unless it is something I can easily sell on. That way I cover basic costs at least and it makes sure the buyer knows what it will cost. Never assume that someone will be ahppy to pay ypour price, especially family and friends who often assume a discount.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline V8-108

• iron
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 07:37:52 AM »
Whilst not directly comparable, Pete raises a valid point regarding friends and family expecting discounts, particularly if whatever it is you do for them is the way you earn your living. They are the people who are most aware that the service they want is the way you make your daily crust and should, perhaps, be the ones who are happy to pay. While it's nice to be able to offer them a discount, it can become something of a dilemma.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
Before I started turning, I was in the computer business, had to start a £20 a question policy in the pub to have an evening out with my friends without working! Turning, building, computting, any trade has the same issue with friends and family wanting free services.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 08:30:32 AM »
Brian H although I see what you are saying I still believe that quality should be a major part of any craft. I know there are cheap imported goods that can be as good as if not better than some but as craftsmen and craftswomen I think we should strive to produce the best quality item that our individual skills allow, otherwise how will our skills improve?More to the point if we do not do that the quality that is acceptable generally will fall, and that surely is not a good thing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 08:53:51 AM »
I agree with John that it should always be a matter of personal pride to produce the best quality work we can irregardless of what it is being sold for. Every time we sort our stock out for a new show something ends up in the wood basket as we realise it isn't good enough. Selling a bowl for £500 at a gallery ( it happens) is possible perhaps if we are 'a name' or it is something very special but it shouldn't be because it is a better quality than the £25 one sold at the church fete.

Pete

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »
I couldn't agree more!
The point I was trying (and failing) to make was that your average potential customer isn't  poking fingers inside vessels or checking bases for chucking evidence or sanding lines .... its only fellow woodyturners who get their kicks this way..... in my experience anyway!
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
As I keep trying to tell people if we are selling our work it is non turners we need to impress not other turners.

Pete

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »
On another forum someone was asking about the hourly rate of garages, apparently they were charged £190 an hour!  I saw an open segmented turning at a craft shop for £550 some years ago which seemed reasonable as it must have contained hundreds of small pieces glued together. Pretty sure it must have taken more than three hours to make!

Offline Myturn

• iron
  • Freestyle Turning
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »

Hi all…

So how much should we charge for commission of a 6” standard turned oak bowl.
Let’s not include the wood as the customer brought a length of 8x4” oak beam  :)

Thanks…Colin.

Update…
I told my customer the bowl was £60 and he gave me £70 I will upload a picture eventually.

I was thinking of putting the ball in their court and asking the customer how much they thought it was worth or how much they’d like to pay.
Would this work at all?

Thanks Myturn…Colin

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2021, 12:48:16 AM »
Thanks for the update. It would be nice to see that photo when you've got time to upload it. Seems like it all worked out in the end :)