Author Topic: Hook replacement on sanding pads  (Read 915 times)

Offline davidbrac

• copper
Hook replacement on sanding pads
« on: August 21, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
Looking to replace some hook on 50mm and 75mm pads anyone have any particular hook or adhesive they recommend and suppliers?

Haven't had to do this for a few years and remember the adhesive on the self sticky strips that I had was not up to much, so any ideas and tip appreciated.

Thanks

David

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Hook replacement on sanding pads
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
I get the hook tape only from here if that is what you are looking for. It is adhesive o just stick it onto the pad. If you use it too hard it'll warm the adhesive and it will come off mind.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 07:38:56 PM »
My club sells 150mm wide self adhesive hook by the metre and the adhesive is very sticky. Sadly I don’t know where they source it.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 04:45:24 PM »
The best I have used came from Simon Hope. Keep stopping when sanding to check the temperature of the disc as the first thing to go when hot is the hooks. Tn the absence of a replacement arbour stick the disc on with hot melt glue and warm it to get it off

Ron

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
I have a pile of self adhesive velcro for replacing the original pad and some double sided velcro (hook one side and loop the other side) which can be used as a sacrificial pad to preserve the one stuck to the arbour and to minimise overheating of the original pad. Contact me if interested!