Author Topic: How to dry fresh willow for turning  (Read 1362 times)

Offline TeamWild

• iron
How to dry fresh willow for turning
« on: August 10, 2021, 04:32:51 PM »
I’ve never turned willow before but is it any good for turning in either it’s wet or dry form?

I’m also after any hints and tips for drying out willow? My assumption is that you’d do usual things like paint the ends with PVA or other sealer to slow the drying process down and also store it out of direct sunlight.
Have I missed anything important?

Cheers
Ben
There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: How to dry fresh willow for turning
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 05:06:18 PM »
I’ve only turned it wet and got soaked!  ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 07:03:41 PM »
Brilliant wood if you are into surrealisitic art. It turns lovely when green as long as you wear wet weather gear and when finished stand back and watch mother natuire take over and distort, warp and twist your work in to unearthly shapes. Apart from all that fine. Haven't lived long enough yet to find any dry willoe to turn apart from an old cricket bat which was a bit boring to be honest.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TeamWild

• iron
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 09:05:49 PM »
Brilliant wood if you are into surrealisitic art. It turns lovely when green as long as you wear wet weather gear and when finished stand back and watch mother natuire take over and distort, warp and twist your work in to unearthly shapes. Apart from all that fine. Haven't lived long enough yet to find any dry willoe to turn apart from an old cricket bat which was a bit boring to be honest.

Pete
Thanks for the info Pete. I’ll just have to give it a go and see what happens.
There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Make sure you wipe down the lathe and chuck etc afterwards to prevent your investment going rusty.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 11:30:31 PM »
there is, of course, more than one species of willow. My only experience is with crack willow.... grows as a weed on river banks. Turn it wet for such things as garden ornaments. If turned dry the surface fluffs up like cotton wool. No chance of getting any sort of acceptable polished finish.
Costs nothing so go for it is my advice
Brian

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 05:39:01 PM »
I ought to add that if you leave a ring of bark on the bottom of your wet-turned garden ornament and place it on... or in... wet earth it is likely to sprout leaves. Not your average sculpture medium!
Brian