Author Topic: Spalted burr oak wall clock  (Read 1512 times)

Offline oldfern

• iron
Spalted burr oak wall clock
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:17:58 PM »
This clock was made from a heavily spalted piece of burr and the not-too-bad bits with plenty of cellulose sealer.  oak. 9" diameter, 2 1/2" thick. I stabilised the worst of the spalting with CA glue. Being a wall clock, I lined up a keyhole plate at the rear with the  XII position - not thinking that the weight of the clock is quite unbalanced due to the decayed side, so it hangs at an angle. Haven't thought of a solution yet. A second plate at the bottom? A lead weight embedded in a cavity on the spalted side?
The quote is "Decay is just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth", Henry Miller. Pyrographed, along with the Roman numerals.

Offline willstewart

• gold
Re: Spalted burr oak wall clock
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:16:29 AM »
I like the ingenious use of decayed wood!  I have been attempting to do something interesting with a clock too. 

And would not a bit of Bluetack solve the tilt?

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »
Beautiful piece of work :)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 08:29:27 AM »
Good to see something different on the site , Looks to be finnised to a high quality

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 09:00:17 PM »
What a novel and interesting piece of work. Love it .
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 04:23:56 PM »
I got out of this out-of-balance problem by bending a bit of garden wire into an elongated staple, an inch or more wide, and supergluing it into two drilled holes. The hanging person will, without thinking, arrange the 'staple' off centre on the 'nail' allowing the piece to hang straight....... Well thats the theory anyway!
Brian

Offline oldfern

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 09:38:40 PM »
Thanks for the idea. It won't work on this clock as I have already drilled and mounted a keyhole plate, but a useful idea for future reference.