Author Topic: Apollo Professional Lathe with Variable Speed and Swivel Headstock  (Read 1877 times)

Offline PC

• iron
Following the recent demise of two very good friends, their families have asked me to clear the workshop and dispose of the contents.  Smaller items very successfully auctioned through 6 clubs in the S.E. A big thank-you to all that participated.

We now have  3 items left - a Startrite 502 Bandsaw, a Meddings Floor Mounted Drill Press and an Apollo Professional Lathe (there is also a vintage Danarm chainsaw but I will not put it on the forum,  please advise if interested) I will post the others separately:-

Apollo Professional Lathe  -

Three of us purchased an Apollo lathe around 20 years ago.  One is still in regular daily use, this one Daphne also regularly used before her illness and mine was replaced by a larger lathe.  All of us have nothing but praise for this  not-so-well known lathe (made in Dereham, Suffolk if memory serves).

It is around 7 feet long,  single phase and has a variable speed control box (Eurotherm 5831). The head can be swivelled and there is a bowl –turning attachment  for larger diameters (see photos).

The sale includes an Axminster  Super-Precision chuck (with reverse action) and 3 toolrests (short/long and a third for the lower banjo when turning bowls).  I’m think it is 3HP but am not sure. Not too clear on photos - there are two banjo assemblies (one is tucked behind tailstock).

It has very sturdy steel legs mounted to a laminate bench.  Daphne was not the tallest of turners so the centre-height is about 6” lower than a typical lathe (see photo of an elbow whose owner is around 5’ 8/9” tall).

It has not been used for around 6-7 years owing to illness and we found a minor ’fault’ but, after a tweak by an electrical engineer to the control settings, it now runs like a Singer Sewing Machine.

The saw is in Dorking  (RH4) -  about 10/15 minutes from Junction 9 of the M25.

Any queries please advise.

We would like to achieve £500 for the family but willing to sell without the chuck if necessary for £400.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 02:17:29 PM by PC »

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
Re: Apollo Professional Lathe with Variable Speed and Swivel Headstock
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:49:28 AM »
Hi,

Do you have a idea of the weight?

And the thread size for the chucks.

Regards

Offline PC

• iron
Re: Apollo Professional Lathe with Variable Speed and Swivel Headstock
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 06:32:45 PM »
Simon

I do not know the weight but you could try the following contact details that I found online dated 2007:-

Apollo Lathes
100 Stone Road
Toftwood
Dareham Norfolk
NR19 1LJ, UK
Phone UK 01362 693515

As for the thread size - it is the same as the Mystro and ML7 i.e. 1.1/8 x 12 Whit., backplate is the MC20.  The chuck with the lathe does have a back plate.

Hope that helps
Peter