Author Topic: Startrite 352 Repair  (Read 1697 times)

Offline julcle

• platinum
Startrite 352 Repair
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:18:33 AM »
I wonder if anybody has had to replace the Blade Thrust Rod on a Startrite 352 Bandsaw (this is the bit behind the blade that stops it being pushed backwards when cutting, normally a bearing in modern machines). It's a 10mm mild steel rod with a tungsten cap welded to it. On my saw the cap seems to have become removed after 50 odd years and lost. I am rather reluctant to purchase a complete new blade guide at £85 for the sake of a bit of metal.
Many Thanks  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Startrite 352 Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:41:42 PM »
I think the carbide tip was most likely brazed onto the rod? You can buy round carbide inserts for metal turning for a few pounds if you can get someone to braze it onto a suitable rod for you.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
Hi Bill,  many thanks for the reply. Yes I had looked at that but was wondering if I was to use a cutting bit on the end would it dig into the blade. I had a quick search on the interweb and found a company in Surry that could supply me with a new one for £28 which I was happy with. In the meantime I had popped up the road to Hamilton Beaverstock to buy a replacement blade and asked them if they could do anything, "yes we can do something with that" came back the reply so I left it with them and returned home (5 minutes in the car) by the time a got home the wife said that they had called and it was ready to pick up. So it's all back up and running now thanks Bill. Beaverstock Saws are corporate members of the AWGB as well.
Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »
Did they repair the old one or supply a replacement?

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 09:19:51 PM »
No Bill they put a new button on the existing post
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian