Author Topic: Lathe mobility?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline turningal

• copper
Lathe mobility?
« on: May 12, 2021, 07:18:10 PM »
Hi there
Here’s a question for the turners that are venturing out into the community, has anyone used a mitre saw stand with wheels to transport their lathe and then use it as a stand once you get to the place where you want to demo?
Alternatively has anyone an ingenious method/solution for the above problem?

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: Lathe mobility?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 07:24:49 PM »
A club I used to belong to had two of these to support lathes and they work well.

Wheels are not necessary as a quick release mechanism means that the stand and lathe can be separated for transportation.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:51:45 AM »
Thank for the reply ......... but part of the problem that I want to solve is combing the transportation and the stand together, in other words, is the stand capable of keeping the lathe attached whilst folded and then being pulled along like a trolley?

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »
Turningal,
There's exactly what you need already on the market. I think it was reviewed in the AAW Journal a while back. Pictures showed
lathe being rolled off the car boot and onto the ground. Not sure if it was used for demo though. The AAW Archive is not the best indexed so the article is not easy to find. I'd suggest an email to Kim Rhymer at the AAW offices might get you the info you  need.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 07:30:03 AM »
Hi David
Thanks for your reply, however to access the AAW journal archive, I have been invited to join the AAW, at a cost of $50 for digital membership!
This adds to the cost of the equipment, however much that turns out to be, and of course it may not be available in the UK anyway.
So thanks for trying, but I guess the search continues, although I can’t find the answer on the internet at the moment.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:33:41 PM »
Hi Turningal,

Well the AAW never miss a trick to gain members! I'll check and see if I can find it for you.

The Journal is well indexed and there are 3 references to lathe mobility. 2 were just about using wheels and the 3rd, well bingo! The article by Walt Theis on pages 26 and 27 of the December 2015 issue describes how he built a useful trolley to get a lathe in/out of the car easily. I can't see that it includes a stand for using the lathe but that should be fairly straightforward to add.

I've just put all my back issues up in the loft so can't help you but if you PM me, I'll see what I can do.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »
Would a scissor lift be of use?

https://www.workplace-products.co.uk/150kg-tuff-single-scissor-lift-trolley.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwv_iEBhASEiwARoemvPx3gtUPtvkM_UnFtik_ZgF7yr7JW-pvhE3DlcRsURb8VLfWzrQ7ehoCAS8QAvD_BwE

Hi Bill
Thanks for your thoughts, the table isn’t long enough, and it’s a tad expensive, but a bigger table would work I guess. But not for me, thanks anyway.
Regards
Alan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »
Hi Bill
Thanks for your thoughts, the table isn’t long enough.

They are available in many sizes, that was just an example. What Lathe are you transporting?

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
Hi Bill
Just a record 305, but the venue that I travel to on a regular basis is some distance from any vehicular access.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
No bigger than my axminster AT350WL, probably lighter actually, which I use for demos at shows. I use a sack truck to move it and the basic stand you can get for it to run it on. Easy to move and transport and takes around 5 - 10 minutes to reassemble.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 06:11:34 PM »
Hi Pete
Thanks for your reply, but it doesn’t really answer my question, other than to say ‘just manhandle it’, with a history of back problems, it’s something that I’m keen to avoid.
Regards
Alan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
Not a big lathe then but still heavy enough to do your back in unless you’re careful. I suppose much depends on the vehicle and whether the boot has a lip you need to lift it over? I still think something like a scissor lift, home made or shop bought might be a good solution.

No bigger than my axminster AT350WL.

Pete

Have you seen the new “short” bed Extension? I’m finding it very useful on my lathe.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-280mm-bed-extension-for-at350wl-lathe-107031

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 06:55:17 PM »
At 71 years old and doing 10 shows a year up until recently I am totally aware of the difficulties involved so apologies if I sounded a bit blase. I was just trying to point out that sometimes there is an easier answer to a problem.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities