Author Topic: USA tool prices  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
USA tool prices
« on: May 12, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »
Wow how much  :o

Blimey the prices are very high indeed , Also the easy chucks

What do you think ?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: USA tool prices
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »
Apart from the chucks are there any tools in particular that you like that seem expensive?

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
Not only are some of their tools expensive but remember you will have to pay import duty AND VAT on anythiing purchased from the USA, in addition to the shipping costs.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
There were two notable US turning tool companies products that were sold by the Toolpost before they closed. Carter & Son Toolworks (HSS) and Hunter tools (Carbide). Hunter tools now have a European distributor. https://www.huntertoolseurope.com/

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »
No different re: the EU now. Thanks to Brexit we no longer have free trade so are subject to the same tariffs as non EU countures. I don't sell to  them anymore as costs can double by the time the custpmer recieves the article and if it is sent back I have to pay.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:25:46 AM »
If you go to the website the tools are priced in pounds. If you select a tool the only addition seems to be post and packing at £7. Without completing the checkout process it’s impossible to tell but there is no mention of import duty or tax etc. I’m not interested in buying the tools as I make my own but if anyone is interested there is a contact tab to ask about VAT etc.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »
I have sold to the states without any problem before, not bought from them though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
If you go to the website the tools are priced in pounds. If you select a tool the only addition seems to be post and packing at £7. Without completing the checkout process it’s impossible to tell but there is no mention of import duty or tax etc. I’m not interested in buying the tools as I make my own but if anyone is interested there is a contact tab to ask about VAT etc.
In my recent experience the items are held by the carrier until the import fees are paid.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 01:38:21 PM »
It depends on the supplier. Since January 1st 2021 suppliers have been invited to register with HM customs and collect VAT at source for goods up to £135. This is what eBay are doing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

This concept is not actually new and some US suppliers have been offering to collect the VAT at source. This avoids having to pay the collection fee that couriers charge.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
[quote author=Bill21 link=topic=6798.msg56935#msg56935 date=1620900147]
There were two notable US turning tool companies products that were sold by the Toolpost before they closed. Carter & Son Toolworks (HSS) and Hunter tools (Carbide). Hunter tools now have a European distributor. https://www.huntertoolseurope.com/
[/quote

re the quote above from Bill:

I'll add a few comments on this in my role as the UK Director for Hunter Tool Systems (Europe) Ltd.  Our stock is manufactured in the USA and imported to our UK subsidiary - HTS(E) Ltd. We have to pay import duty and Import VAT @ 20% on all stock transferred from the USA to our UK warehouse.

I would suggest that other companies may have different charges to pay, depending on their trading relationship with their UK distribution partner.

Other manufacturers use different means to get their product to market, including that well-known major Online store. BTW, I visited the particular manufacturer's stand mentioned at the head of this thread at the AAW Symposium and I felt that the prices for the chucks were high, even in US$ and at show prices.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:12:30 PM by David Buskell »
David
At The Cutting Edge

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 03:35:20 PM »
Wow how much  :o

Blimey the prices are very high indeed , Also the easy chucks

What do you think ?

The chuck is only a part of the price, The jaws are also expensive compared to other brands, it is not hard to use an alternative chuck and jaw set and have 3 or 4 chucks with jaws mounted for the same price as a quick change chuck and 4 sets of jaws. It is a new technology that probably has some development cost to recover, but I think you have to either be very rich, or really be uncertain which jaws to use to justify the cost.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »
David, can you edit your post so it doesn’t look like I work for Hunter Tools please.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 09:11:25 PM »
Bill,
Certainly. I used the quote facility to paste your original message so please blame the system!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
Bill,

Done.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge