Author Topic: USA tool prices  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: USA tool prices
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 08:59:12 AM »
Apart from the chucks are there any tools in particular that you like that seem expensive?
One company that advertises in the woodturning mag is selling a pen mandrel for £140  :o

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
I saw that ad  as well. Peter Sefton's Wood Workers Workshop is shown as the UK dealer.  I gather they are having stock issues over in the US and not able to ship until late 2021.

Import duty, VAT and dealer margin would probably increase that US$ price considerably.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 07:43:18 PM »
Apart from the chucks are there any tools in particular that you like that seem expensive?
One company that advertises in the woodturning mag is selling a pen mandrel for £140  :o

The last time I turned a Pen I used an ER32 Collet Chuck with a suitable size collet and a length of silver steel. The total cost at the time was about £20.
You can still get an MT2 ER25 chuck on the auction site for about £15 so no need to buy anything more expensive. I do recommend you use a Pen Centre though.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/woodworking-tools-equipment/sct-woodworking-chucks-centres-faceplates/sct-pen-centre/

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 07:05:35 PM »

The last time I turned a Pen I used an ER32 Collet Chuck with a suitable size collet and a length of silver steel. The total cost at the time was about £20.
You can still get an MT2 ER25 chuck on the auction site for about £15 so no need to buy anything more expensive. I do recommend you use a Pen Centre though.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/woodworking-tools-equipment/sct-woodworking-chucks-centres-faceplates/sct-pen-centre/

OK thanks , My tailstock is 3 MT , do they do a 3 MT or will I need a 2 - 3 adaptor ?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2021, 11:10:58 PM »
I’ve only seen them in 2MT so you’ll have to have a look around to see if anyone else makes them in 3MT.

Edit:

Axminster list them in MT3 but say they only have a few left so I guess they’re not making them for much longer? Best be quick if you want one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:55:35 AM by Bill21 »

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 07:56:33 PM »
I saw that ad  as well. Peter Sefton's Wood Workers Workshop is shown as the UK dealer.  I gather they are having stock issues over in the US and not able to ship until late 2021.

Import duty, VAT and dealer margin would probably increase that US$ price considerably.
One reason for that exorbitant price is that when stocks run out and the company cannot fill an order they put the prices high to deter people from ordrering, when stocks do arrive the seller does not know how much they have to pay untill that point