Author Topic: Pen finishes  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Pen finishes
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
I also use the melamine lacquer which was linked to above. I did start by using CA but soon went off of it as stated it made them feel like plastic as well as the fumes when applying CA effected me badly.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 10:09:08 PM »
I believe some people mix linseed oil with the CA glue. No idea why but may be worth trying.
Having said that, I use melamine lacquer and have never tried CA (I'd probably end up with a pen glued to my hand!)

Forget the above - full explanation at https://www.whitlockwoodendesigns.com/polishing-wooden-pens-the-best-finish/ as linked to by Bill21. Thanks Bill!

Duncan
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:13:35 PM by Duncan A »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 11:17:21 PM »
I don't do pens and don't use CA glue as a finish but using it for kinsugi effects I need to seal the wood first as it soaks deep into the wood and stains it.
Pete

Tell us more about these kinsugi effects!  :)

Kinsugi is the art of repairing broken ceramics and pottery using gold, precious metals and lacquers. The 'effects' are filling cracks and splits in pieces using various materials such as metal powder, glass, stone or various wood dusts to highlight the split rather than simply try and hide it. If you use resin as some do you rarely get a good metallic look with metal dusts so I use very low viscosity industrial CA glue with the fillers. This gives the effect of the split / crack being filled with metal. Can't afford gold or silver dust so use brass, copper or aluminium or various glass dusts or frits. 1st one is filled with blue glass frit, 2nd one with brass powder
 Hope this explains.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 10:50:49 AM »
Thanks for that Pete, interesting.  ;)