Author Topic: Thick or Thin  (Read 1166 times)

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
Thick or Thin
« on: May 10, 2021, 04:16:39 PM »
I am just wondering why most turners on YouTube etc seem so obsessed with thin walls on bowls they turn? Sometimes I leave mine quite chunky as it to me feels better quality when the bowl has some weight to it.
What do others on here prefer?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Thick or Thin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »
Yes....  ;)

There are some bowls that need chunky walls, some that need nice fine walls and some so thin they are translucent. Sometimes defined by timber, sometimes by intended purpose, often by my mood.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 05:05:22 PM »
In my world there is no one answer fits all. I believe proportion and a silky feel are by far the most important considerations.
The worst things, in my eyes anyway, are a rim which is considerably thinner than the base and an ugly, unfinished chucking recess left in the bottom!
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:54:59 PM »
I am just wondering why most turners on YouTube etc seem so obsessed with thin walls on bowls they turn? Sometimes I leave mine quite chunky as it to me feels better quality when the bowl has some weight to it.
What do others on here prefer?

I agree. A friend of mine is a prolific turner and when he makes a bowl for someone apparently the first thing they do is “weigh” it in their hands. Heavy bowls get good approval. You rarely seem to see thin bowls for sale in the shops either, people want durable, practical items. If though you’re turning a bowl to impress another wood Turner it needs to be as thin as possible, 1/16” is ideal. “Art” pieces are probably not handled very often anyway. I saw a turned vessel at the old Axminster tools shop in the town many years ago. It was very thin and technically an impressive piece. I wouldn’t have given 50p for it though and I doubt many others would as it had no “presence”. Having said all that small turnings need to be thinner to be in proportion.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »
The ability to turn a thin bowl e.g. to a few mill, is something most turners try, same with hollow forms. For decorative work perhaps it is OK and if you aim to pierce it is essential but for practical use the bowl needs to be thkick enough to use. Perhaps those who like thin bowls are trying unwittingly to achieve a porcelain type feel? End of the day the piece needs to be fit for purpose so the type of wood, design. shape and the thickness are all important factors and should be dictated to by the personal taste and, as said, the eventual purpose of the  piece.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »
Interestingly, one of the pieces in the Instant Gallery critique at the AAW Symposoum in Raleigh 2019, was commented upon for its weight or lack of.

The panels' comments indicated that weight should be considered along with form, function etc when deciding how to cut a piece.
I don't think the AAW record these IG sessions so cannot get the exact quote made by Betty  Scarpino at the time.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »
The ability to turn a thin bowl e.g. to a few mill, is something most turners try, same with hollow forms. For decorative work perhaps it is OK and if you aim to pierce it is essential but for practical use the bowl needs to be thkick enough to use. Perhaps those who like thin bowls are trying unwittingly to achieve a porcelain type feel? End of the day the piece needs to be fit for purpose so the type of wood, design. shape and the thickness are all important factors and should be dictated to by the personal taste and, as said, the eventual purpose of the  piece.

Pete

One of my first lessons with John Davis many moons ago, I was told "it isn't a fruit bowl if it falls over when you put an apple in it"!

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »

One of my first lessons with John Davis many moons ago, I was told "it isn't a fruit bowl if it falls over when you put an apple in it"!

I like that and so true!

I can appreciate many of the impractical art pieces I see but do wonder how long it is before some of them get knocked over. It certainly wouldn’t take long in our house with two cats!