Author Topic: Pacemakers  (Read 1008 times)

Offline TonyS

• iron
Pacemakers
« on: April 22, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »
Hi, are there any turners on this site that have pacemakers? If so I would be interested to know if they have had any problems regarding vibration or effects from variable speed motors etc. Many thanks
Tony

Offline JHA

• iron
Re: Pacemakers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 05:31:40 PM »
Hi Tony
I had a two wire pacemaker fitted 4 years ago. I have not had any issues even working close to my lathes 3 hp motor.
Using battery drills or other power tools close to the pacemaker also has no effect.
No adverse effects recorded at the annual check up download.
Have kept away from strong permanent magnets and the induction hob...wife does all the the cooking!!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »
I finally found out why Record fit a black box to their Herald lathes. It is an EMC (Electro Magnetic Control) to supress all types of elctr magnetic wave, including pacemakers. I found this with the help of Professor Google. I still do not know why the Herald was singled out for this. Nice lathe though
Ron

Offline TonyS

• iron
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 06:37:18 PM »
Hi, Many thanks for your replies, just had pacemaker fitted and a little concerned as to whether or not it would have any effect on lathe use. I have variable speed on a single phase linear motor. you obviously don't have any problems turning anything out of balance, which would be my main concern. Hopefully I will be back on the lathe in a couple of months.
Tony

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:31:45 PM »
Good luck with it, hopefully you will be making shavings soon
Ron

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
Hi, Many thanks for your replies, just had pacemaker fitted and a little concerned as to whether or not it would have any effect on lathe use. I have variable speed on a single phase linear motor. you obviously don't have any problems turning anything out of balance, which would be my main concern. Hopefully I will be back on the lathe in a couple of months.
Tony

Most machines have the filters built in. Presumably this was added as an afterthought because the Chinese manufacturers didn't include one?