Author Topic: Cellulose finish?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Cellulose finish?
« on: April 08, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »
For most of my turned items I simply apply cellulose sanding sealer, de-nib when dry then apply some Microcrystalline Wax. This is a very quick finish and seems quite durable. The other day though I had a very tiny piece of turned wood to finish which didn’t really need grain filling and I didn’t particularly want to sand further.
I then noticed my bottle of sanding sealer had separated as usual so wondered if I could just use the liquid for a finish. I dipped a cotton bud into the liquid and wiped it onto the piece and it worked fine.

I’m now wondering why Chestnut or others don’t make a wipe on cellulose lacquer?

The job is done now but I remembered I also have some wipe on Melamine Lacquer so I could have used that.
It was bought some years ago but has languished unused in my finishing box.

Any thoughts? I generally don’t like spraying finishes, much preferring a wiped or brush application.

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Cellulose finish?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »
Slightly off piste I know but I wonder if I am the only woody who cant use cellulose? The fumes affect my heart rhythm. A truly horrible experience. I dont think Ive always had these problems so it must have come on with age.
Brian

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:20:41 PM »
Bill

the clear bit in cellulose sanding sealer is cellulose solvent. The yellow bit is what gets left on the wood when you finish. That is a shellac base on most brands I think, don't intend to make my own so never really looked it up.

I think Melamine Lacquer has a shelf life so at least test on a piece of scrap before use!

Ever thought of making your own wipe on poly ? it is basically a much thinned down polyurethane (oil based) varnish with white spirits. some brands add some linseed oil as well, room to experiment!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »
Yes, making a wipe on poly might be worth some experimentation.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:08:19 AM »
I am in Spain I can buy cellulose lacquer and thinners at my local paint shop. I buy both and mix 50/50 and just brush this on and then wipe the excess off after about a minute. See if you can buy similar in the UK.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »
Thanks Colin. I may give that a try.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:07:17 PM »
Bill

the clear bit in cellulose sanding sealer is cellulose solvent.

I tried it again yesterday and it obviously isn’t just solvent as it leaves a nice sealed finish but without the usual roughness.  ;)  I’m guessing the stuff at the bottom of the bottle is the component that fills the pores of the wood and makes sanding easier. The rest I suppose is lacquer and solvent.
Next up is to try the malamine.