Author Topic: Wivamac DB1200 For Sale - SOLD  (Read 1448 times)

Offline PC

• iron
Wivamac DB1200 For Sale - SOLD
« on: March 24, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
Here we have my brilliant Wivamac DB1200 which must go.

6 years ago I would quite happily retire to my 30' x 12' workshop and play for hours.  We then got planning permission to pull down two barns and replace them with a new house.  All went well but I was only allowed to build a small workshop, about a third of the original size.  All the big machinery had to go and, as the opportunity has arisen I will now downsize by selling my two lathes and replace them with a Mystro.

I bought the Wivamac from Pete Hemsley in 2010 I believe.  It had moderate hobby use until 2016 when I had to put it into storage and concentrate on the new-build.  Last summer I set it up but have only found the time for one job since as snagging took preference (cheaper than a divorce).

Whilst stripped down, although not necessary,  I took the opportunity of replacing the bearings in case the looming Brexit removed access to Willy Vanhoutte in Belgium (it turns out that they are readily availabe here anyway!!).

It has the 3HP motor, the bowl attachment stand and a DIY bolt-on toolpost which allows for a much greater swing (still WIP but usable in its current form).  There is also a back plate for an Axminster Super Precision Chuck and extra toolrests for turning inside large bowls. I understand that £1500 would be a reasonable price.

Any questions, please ask, we are near Heathfield in East Sussex - TN21 which is about an hour south of M25 Dartford Tunnel.

Regards
Pete
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:09:58 AM by Valkrider »

Offline HappyPixie

• iron
Re: Wivamac DB1200 For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:40:00 PM »
Hi Pete
Very interested, since I'm trying to upgrade from the inherited Myford ML8 that I've been using since I started six years ago. Does the Wivamac have variable speed control and/or pulleys to change the speed? I assume the headstock rotates since you have an outrigger for big bowls?
You are not too far away since I'm on junction 25 of the M25. Collection shouldn't be too horrendous. Is it too heavy for a standard car with seats folded down?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Kind regards
Steve

Offline PC

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
Steve

Thank you for your interest.  Yes, the head does revolve and not only that - you can slide the headstock along the beds and position it wherever you want.

The speed mechanism is variable and you have 5 pulley-wheels and the belt is moved to change the range of speeds.  It is very easy and facing you ( I can send close-up photo if you wish).  The Inverter/Speed control is a Hitachi device which, I believe, can be tuned to your specific needs(e.g. reduce the 'slow-down time')  Having said that I have never found the need to change the standard settings.

When I first bought it I collected it with my Subaru Forester and it was not a problem.  It breaks down quite easlily, the longest length is clearly the bed assembly, that is around 6'2" in length (beware - it may go in with the front passenger seat removed but you may have electrical probs as the airbag actuator is probably disengaged).

Any further inf - you are welcome to phone - 01435 883435
Update - Item now sold
Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:21:03 PM by PC »

Offline HappyPixie

• iron
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 08:44:41 PM »
Thanks, Peter.
I'll call you tomorrow.
Steve