Author Topic: Chainsaw question  (Read 2210 times)

Offline jay

• copper
Chainsaw question
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:33:52 PM »
   Has anyone on the forum used a chainsaw with a ripping  chain to cut logs lengthways down the middle to make bowl blanks ? I do not have a bandsaw or space for one at the moment i have only seen these chains used in an Alaskan  Mill to plank logs . However short chains are available  Stihl  techs were no help whatsoever 

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Chainsaw question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »
I do rip logs along the grain but have never had a specific chain to do it.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:15:28 AM »
Same as Paul I know it wears them out and the cut could be straighter but I use the chain that I have on the saw no matter which way I am cutting, though I often just make start cuts then hit it with wedges as I have a bandsaw once it is manageable.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 06:50:06 AM »
Ripping chains are available, but not easy to find, however, unless you're slabbing whole trunks or large branches with a chain-mill, they're not necessary. I cross-cut first, then rip the "cheeses" down along the grain, but always lie the log on its side with a couple of wooden chocks to stop it rolling, then rip-cut it. You must avoid getting a cut going along the whole length of the bar because this sort of cut produces long shavings and they can soon clog-up your chain-saw. Rock the saw gently up and down so that it cuts on a  short length of the bar at all times! The cut to avoid is the one where you stand the "cheese" on end and chain saw down the end-grain. That is an extremely inefficient cut and will over-heat your blade.

Wear the PPE and take all sensible precautions!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 09:21:34 AM »
Ripping chain is exclusively for use with a chainsaw mill. There is a very real danger of severe kickback if used for freehand cutting.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:23 AM »
When I have to cut along the grain I use the same method as Les as he states if you use the whole blade long shavings are produced and you spend as much time cleaning them out of the chainsaw as you do cutting, yes I have done that when I first started.
I only ever use the standards chain I originally started with

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »
   Thank you all for the help . I am going to stick with a normal  chain  and use the techniques suggested

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
I use a chainsaw mill and have several ripping chains, if you have a chainsaw the new imported cheap mills are well worth a consideration, ripping chains are not really required untill you get into the larger barsizes, but they do give a "slightly" better finish om small bars
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 10:14:29 AM »
I also use a cheap chainsaw mill with an electric chainsaw.  For woodturning purposes a chainsaw used as described by Les is perfectly adequate.  A chainsaw mill is very useful if you wish to use the wood for purposes other than (as well as) woodturning.   My  experiments on using an electric saw with a mill are viewable here https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgSIMD0DRIR3Ek-eR0paTaOuNFAy86UfN

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
I use an Alaskan mill to plank timber for both furniture and turning. I have several chains two of which are sharpened at 10° instead of the usual 30°¿ i use these ones for planking and the 30-° blades for crosscutting. It can be compared to handsaws, rip and crosscut are sharpened at different angles. I find the 10° blades give a really good finish on the planks as well.