Author Topic: Threading jig  (Read 3896 times)

Offline simon

• copper
Threading jig
« on: March 27, 2021, 11:07:34 AM »
Folks

Has anyone bought / tried these threading jigs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294082250975

I know Simon Hope does a great one but that is more than twice the cost than I can’t really run to for occasional use. 

Thanks
Simon

Offline John

• bronze
Re: Threading jig
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:27:04 AM »
I have the Simon Hope Jig I am willing to sell it if you are interested. It's M33 25mm post
John
John English

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
Folks

Thanks
Simon

Yes I bought one of these a few years ago. It's a good piece of kit. No experience of using the Simon Hope jig so can't comment on that.

Tim

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:43:08 PM »
I have the Simon Hope Jig I am willing to sell it if you are interested. It's M33 25mm post
John

Sent you a message John

Offline gmansfield

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:29:48 AM »
Folks

Thanks
Simon

Yes I bought one of these a few years ago. It's a good piece of kit. No experience of using the Simon Hope jig so can't comment on that.

Tim

Tim, I have just bought one of these and the instructions are to say the least sparse. What I am trying to figure out is the number of turns to get a correct thread depth. I have both the 16TPI and 10TPI spindles and on the sheet supplied all he says is “1 div on hand wheel = 0.1mm. TBH i have never cut a thread before so hoping for some guidance on using the jig from someone with experience.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »
Is the Video of any help?

https://youtu.be/ZB6rqIM5BR4

Offline gmansfield

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 01:34:16 PM »
Is the Video of any help?

https://youtu.be/ZB6rqIM5BR4
Hi Bill, well that is for the Simon Hope Jig rather than the EZ jig. I just didn’t know if here was a difference and Tim was using the EZ rather than the Hope one. But thanks anayway and I have already watched that video. Graham

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
The jig may look slightly different but the principle should be the same?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »
John

Is the one you have the original one or the MK2 model that Simon now sells

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 09:57:50 AM »
Tim, I have just bought one of these and the instructions are to say the least sparse. What I am trying to figure out is the number of turns to get a correct thread depth. I have both the 16TPI and 10TPI spindles and on the sheet supplied all he says is “1 div on hand wheel = 0.1mm. TBH i have never cut a thread before so hoping for some guidance on using the jig from someone with experience.

Hi Graham, sorry for the delay in replying, I have just been searching for the original documentation.  I think mine might be a different one again, it's called a Boffin53 Thread Cutting Jig.  The thread pitch is 16 tpi  and crucially the instructions state "Cut the male thread first by touching the cutter on the wood[en blank cylinder] and then advance the cutter by one full turn to achieve full thread depth".  That gives the thread depth.  I experimented on wood scraps to get the hang of it and as Bill says there are loads of You Tube videos.  Haven't an example to show currently but will do post a work in progress when I can.  Send me a PM if you think I can be of further help.

Tim
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:41:10 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 11:31:48 AM »
am I the only one whose wondering why threading on wood.... surely the most unsuitable material in the cosmos (except porridge, of course!) is seen as worth the expense of pricey special jigs?
Is it time to ease my conscience by coming clean?
I had a magazine article published on the subject, many years.... and a nameless and now defunct magazine... ago. Both male and female threads looked super in the pics but I had the remove one of them for the final, headline, image to make the bits fit!
My apologies go out to readers of magazines which were then made of papirus and scribed individually by tonsured monks with dirty habits for taking their groats under false pretences.
Brian 

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 12:06:03 PM »
Making usable threads on wood is impressive, but they are not suitable for all timbers. To make learning cheaper and easier go and buy some 30mm plumbing waste pipe get the feel of the tool on that, then get some quality timber e.g. box wood and again you can get good threads. Next level down thread some ordinary timber but flood it with CA to give the thread points a little extra strength.

Large rounded pitch threads work quite well, for anything small I prefer to hide a nut and bolt in the timber.

I think I remember being well impressed with BrianH's article, and being led by that papyrus scroll down the rabbit hole of making things that screw together. It is good to learn that my hit and miss results were not entirely due to my ineptitude  ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »
No, Pete, ineptitude came in handy, when working to one my articles, but it was more of a Brucy Bonus really!!!!!!
Brian

Offline gmansfield

• iron
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »

Hi Simon, sorry for the delay in replying, I have just been searching for the original documentation.  I think mine might be a different one again, it's called a Boffin53 Thread Cutting Jig.  The thread pitch is 16 tpi  and crucially the instructions state "Cut the male thread first by touching the cutter on the wood[en blank cylinder] and then advance the cutter by one full turn to achieve full thread depth".  That gives the thread depth.  I experimented on wood scraps to get the hang of it and as Bill says there are loads of You Tube videos.  Haven't an example to show currently but will do post a work in progress when I can.  Send me a PM if you think I can be of further help.

Tim
Hi Tim,
Ok that’s great and yes mine is Lao the Boffin53 seller on eBay. Chap by the name of Kevin.
Ok so that is the same as mine then one complete turn gives the suitable thread depth for the 16TPI thread. Ok better go and give it a try.
Regards Graham

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 08:57:46 AM »
I don't understand why turners spend all this money on threading jigs when all you need to do is learn how to chase a thread.Look on ebay as there are thread chasers coming up all of the time.