Author Topic: Axminster Soft Jaws?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Axminster Soft Jaws?
« on: March 25, 2021, 12:10:26 PM »
Anyone tried making these to directly fit an Axminster SK100? They seem to be a handy thing to have but the Axminster ones are nearly £27 and you can get the material (Nylon) on eBay for half that price.

I’m just wondering if anyone has a drawing of the required groove diameter and bolt spacing to save me sitting down and working it out!  ;D

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Re: Axminster Soft Jaws?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »
The sizes are all on Thingiverse.com for printing them on a 3D printer.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
Thanks for that, I’ll see if I can find it.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:27:50 PM »
Thanks, I found it earlier. It only really gives bolt centres so I measured my Chuck and the figures don’t exactly tally with that drawing. With my C jaws set at 70mm OD as suggested by Axminster I can say that the register on the Chuck is appropriately 66mm OD and 60mm ID. The register is actually very slightly under 3mm wide and the corresponding recess on the accessory jaws seems slightly over 3mm. The bolt centres appear to be 19mm. I’m going to make some pins to fit the holes in the accessory jaws to measure the distance to the register as the jaws proper move about a bit too much to take an accurate measurement. Absolute accuracy isn’t needed but I may as well get it as accurate as I can.

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 02:25:32 PM »
Anyone tried making these to directly fit an Axminster SK100? They seem to be a handy thing to have but the Axminster ones are nearly £27 and you can get the material (Nylon) on eBay for half that price.

I’m just wondering if anyone has a drawing of the required groove diameter and bolt spacing to save me sitting down and working it out!  ;D
Have you considered mounting the nylon on wood plates that axminster sell to make custom built wooden jaws? Once you have the wood plated you can fashion all kinds of wooden/nylon jaws?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 03:41:23 PM »
I bought some lengths of cylindrical plastic to make sets of soft jaws. It worked out to less than a fiver per set.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 04:09:14 PM »

Have you considered mounting the nylon on wood plates that axminster sell to make custom built wooden jaws? Once you have the wood plated you can fashion all kinds of wooden/nylon jaws?

Yes I did consider that but for small stuff it seems easier to use soft jaws. I just don’t like Axminster’s pricing!  ;D

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »
You now have to spend at least £45 at Axminster to get free postage, last year it was £30 . . . . .  50% difference
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
I don’t object to paying postage on small orders as long as it’s reasonable. Some places I’d like to have bought stuff from in the past want £8.95 postage or more and I won’t pay that.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 11:05:07 AM »

I made myself a few sets of these, I bought a Nylon chopping board and made them from that, they worked fine.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »
It’s interesting that the Axminster soft jaws are £26.68. The Record Power ones are only £18.99. I’m thinking it may pay to buy a RP SC3 at some point in the future if I see one on special offer.

Edit: I’ve just seen the Nova ones (in a lovely shade of Red  ;D ) for only £15.25. This is all making the Axminster ones look rather expensive!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:56:55 PM by Bill21 »

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 07:40:04 PM »
  I don't know if this is of use but I make custom router bases for myself by photo copying the base of the router then sticking the copy onto plexi glass That gets all the bolt centres accurate

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 09:00:37 PM »
I was looking for something completely different in my workshop and what did I find - a set of Axminster soft jaws! I have no idea when I bought them but it must have been a long time ago!  ;)