Author Topic: Record sabre 250 bandsaw  (Read 3778 times)

Offline turningal

• copper
Record sabre 250 bandsaw
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
I’m thinking of buying a record sabre 250 bandsaw ....... eventually!!!!
Do any members have an opinion on this machine?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Record sabre 250 bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 11:58:10 AM »
I’ve not seen one but briefly looking on the RP website it has two features that I wanted when I bought my BS300E, cast iron table and heavy band wheels. Two good features for any budget bandsaw. Nothing like the opinion of an owner of this machine but it seems to be a fairly new addition to the range?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »

Hi George Foweraker has just purchased on of these and was saying how good it was i suggest you look him up on his web site and I am sure he would be able to help you.
                                                                John
John Smith

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:27:11 PM »
I have the 350 and love it except for 2 things. The channel for the mitre fence is not a standard size, the fence is not great quality, so you cannot get a better fence . It in my opinion it need better blade guides I upgraded to roller bearing top guides(not available from record). Other than that it is extremely well put together, mine has more than enough power to cut anything I want. Logs down to veneers no problem. Set it up well and buy some decent blades and you are sorted.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:15 PM »
I upgraded to roller bearing top guides(not available from record).

Which ones did you get?

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »
Ah yes I’ve seen those. Sadly the back bearing is fitted the wrong way round to make manufacturing easier and cheaper. I made my own guides very similar to the Carter ones:

https://carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-guides/2400

Axminster also sell something similar.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-hbs350n-blade-guide-set-102273

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
I got them here http://www.accessories4woodsaws.com/

I purchased one of these about 5 years ago (when they were available from Yandles) for my old Record BS300 (pre BS300E) bandsaw .  It is an excellent product and as well as improving accuracy of cut, the whole machine runs more smoothly. Yes there is a loss of about 50mm depth of cut (reduces the maximum depth to 150mm), but if on the odd occasion I want to cut to the old maximum depth of 200mm, it is very easy (a few minutes work) to temporarily replace the old guides.

Tim

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 08:40:21 PM »
The depth of cut on the BS300E is listed as 190mm but when I checked mine today with the guides I made it seems to have increased by 10mm!  :D

Tim, what length blades do you use on your machine? The listed size is 93 1/4” or 2369mm. I noticed when I first bought my machine that removing and replacing the blade was impossible without tipping the top wheel towards me using the tracking adjuster on the back. There seems to be plenty of height adjustment (tension) on the upper wheel so I’m wondering if I could actually fit a 93 1/2” blade? We’re only talking about a 1/8” adjustment on the tension and I’m pretty sure I have that. I ask because for some reason 93 1/2” seems to be a more popular size with more blade options.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
The depth of cut on the BS300E is listed as 190mm but when I checked mine today with the guides I made it seems to have increased by 10mm!  :D

Tim, what length blades do you use on your machine? The listed size is 93 1/4” or 2369mm. I noticed when I first bought my machine that removing and replacing the blade was impossible without tipping the top wheel towards me using the tracking adjuster on the back. There seems to be plenty of height adjustment (tension) on the upper wheel so I’m wondering if I could actually fit a 93 1/2” blade? We’re only talking about a 1/8” adjustment on the tension and I’m pretty sure I have that. I ask because for some reason 93 1/2” seems to be a more popular size with more blade options.
Hi Bill, yes the depth of cut on my old BS300X is 200mm using the original top guide.  The blade length is 2370 and I have never considered changing from this.  It's interesting that you have a problem changing the blade as on the BS300X there is a cam lever on the side of the casing that instantly de-tensions the blade making it very easy to remove or replace. Just have to remember never to start the saw with the blade in de-tensioned mode  :o which is perhaps why that feature was discontinued in the replacement BS300E.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 01:17:58 PM »
Yes, the BS300E doesn’t have a cam lever, just the round adjuster on the top of the machine. It was a real pain so I replaced it with a crank handle which is so much quicker and easier to use. I may order a cheap 93 1/2” blade to see if it fits. If it does it increases the blade options available for my machine.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »
I'll be very interested to hear the outcome of that Bill.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »
A 93 1/2” blade arrived from The Bandsaw Shop today, a 1/4” 6 TPI. I thought I’d made an error getting it as it was so much easier to fit than the “proper” size blades. There was more than enough adjustment to tension the blade but this may not be the case with wider blades? I set it up and did some test cuts and it was fine. I would say caution is advised though to ensure your particular bandsaw has enough adjustment.
For my particular BS300E my view is that the recommended blades are too short for easy removal and replacement, at least on my machine. For wide blades the 93 1/2” may be too long though to get enough tension? In future if ordering from a company that offers any size to order I’ll split the difference and  ask for a 93 3/8” or 2372mm.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:24:02 PM by Bill21 »