Author Topic: Info on New Chuck Please  (Read 828 times)

Offline PC

• iron
Info on New Chuck Please
« on: March 24, 2021, 05:05:41 PM »
A friend recently died and I have been asked to clear the workshop and sell the contents.  I am currently cataloguing all items which includes, what appears to be, a new chuck and a VB36 Deep Hollowing Rest.

The chuck has no brand name but, knowing Peter, he would not have entertained using tat (the drill press is an MF4 Meddings* already fitted with a smaller chuck).

It has a diameter of 93mm and weighs 3.8kg.  It has a J5 arbor and simply marked "Super Chuck", "Ball Bearing" and "JT5 Cap .5-25.4mm" (there are some straight shanked 1" drill bits).

Is there anyway of telling whether we have a quality item here as I would like to ensure fairplay for the family?

Also, the VB36 was sold a while ago but he, presumably, forgot to pass on the VB36 DHR5/6 Deep Hollowing Rest.  I could not find the pin accessories but remainder is complete.  Any idea of what I should be asking to give the family a fair price?

* - Hope to add to the forum shortly - the drill along with Startrite 502E, Kity 637, Myford Super7 and an Apollo Professional.

Regards
PC

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Info on New Chuck Please
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »
I’ve got Albrecht and Jacobs chucks and they’re very clearly stamped with the makers name. If the Chuck doesn’t have a manufacturers name on it I doubt it’s a premium product but who knows?

Offline PC

• iron
Re: Info on New Chuck Please
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:13:40 PM »
Thanks Bill.  That is what I suspected, most unlike him. I was just hoping somebody might recognise it.  Ah well , there is always ebay.

Regards
PC