Author Topic: Walnut box with spiral pewter  (Read 1313 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Walnut box with spiral pewter
« on: March 23, 2021, 09:48:34 AM »
This is another competition piece for our club - a box.  I have reproduced the spiral effect obtained by interaction between the straight but skewed bandsaw cut and the curved interior.  I used this on several bowls last year.  After the part-way-through saw cuts are made (see jig pic) thin sheets of pewter are glued into the saw kerfs with epoxy and the box finished.  The curved interior (hollowed out after the sheets are glued in) shows the sheet intersections as spiral curves.  The ring in the lid and the circular pewter centres inside and outside are cast in place in dovetailed holes before box finishing (with cut n polish wax).  The handle is a bought-in chrome metal one. The box is about 100mm diameter. The centre of the inside pewter base disk was re-finished with a scraper tool to give a circular 'brushed' look, just for more interest.

I think reasonably successful, though the box walls being thicker than the bowls' reduces the size of the spiral a bit. The cut 'n polish wax removes quite a lot of the pewter powder that darkens the wood but hard wax polish afterwards removes most of the rest. 

I have included a pic of the piece on the bandsaw in the jig to help make the process clearer. 

Offline Gregmcateer

• iron
Re: Walnut box with spiral pewter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 08:59:46 AM »
That is very impressive, sir!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:30:39 AM »
Have you done a finger count recently?

But in all seriousness, you are developing a new technique her and i have been interested to follow you postings of the experiments and the pieces you have developed. Nicely done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »
dr4g0nfly - fingers all still there!  But care is indeed needed for the bandsaw stage - a sharp blade and a firm jig with the piece firmly held (hence the screwed-on sacrificial wooden block under the piece in the photo, holding the piece up from the jig base. If this is not firm the piece can 'bounce' under the bandsaw.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 06:24:45 PM »
FYI it won 2nd prize!