Author Topic: Jet 1221VS Error fault E3 & parts  (Read 2197 times)

Offline neilfrost38@gmail.com

• iron
Jet 1221VS Error fault E3 & parts
« on: March 16, 2021, 05:36:37 PM »
Hi,
I have an error showing E3, the manual states its a voltage issue, which I think it is very unlikely as its on a new ring main that was installed 2 years ago and has sensitive circuit breakers on each circuit, unless its an internal machine voltage problem? 

Also who can supply Jet machine parts in the UK, I have looked but not found anyone as yet?

Many thanks
Neil

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Re: Jet 1221VS Error fault E3 & parts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 06:16:39 PM »
Hi Neil,

I googled for a set of motor brushes for the Jet 1221VS recently and found one or two options on eBay.  However, I also found that Axminster had them as although they weren't listed on their website, I'd called their technical team and the guy gave me a part number to order by phone.  I decided to source a set from them as I've always found their after sales support very good.

The operating manual specifically states error code is for 'Voltage too high" and to 'Request voltage check from power company', so perhaps give the Technical team at Axminster if they've knowledge of that error code from owners of their previous sales of this machine?

Hope this is useful.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
If it were me I think I’d at least try another socket or two in the house using an extension lead just to be sure.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »
Hi Bill,

IMHO it is extremely unlikely to be an issue with the incoming electrical supply voltage being above the allowed 50Hz, 230 volts (-6%, +10%), but on the other hand it's extremely likely to be an issue associated with the lathe itself.  With no info provided of items checked and as it's a very unusual error code, I suggested trying Axminster as a first port of call.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:08:03 PM by Sandy »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »
Hi Bill,

IMHO it is extremely unlikely to be an issue with the incoming electrical supply voltage.

I agree, but how long would it take to try it, 5 mins?

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
Does the fault display as soon as it's turned on?  There should be a means of reset although this may just be by turning off/on.
Does the fault reset by turning off/on?
Does the fault always occur or, for example, just when turning large items?  Regeneration can sometimes cause over-voltage as the lathe slows down to a stop.
As said by others, check it on another socket, or measure the input voltage if you have a suitable meter. Unlikely to be power supply too high though.
Duncan

Offline neilfrost38@gmail.com

• iron
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 10:46:14 PM »
Thanks all,
As mentioned it started showing E3 most of the time earlier this week, it then showed E6 a couple of times and got a lot worse, So I decided to have a closer look and I think the sensor collar might have moved a little.
As it was a little noisy I decide to change the head stock bearing first, so ordered on Thursday and fitted yesterday, is was fairly easy, less than an hour to complete the task.  I have only ran it up a few times to see, it now runs a great deal more smoothly and did not show any errors.  I hope to do a little turning tomorrow so we will see if its cured the problem, I am also going to check the motor brushes and probably fit new, after that if I still have a problem with error codes I will let you know and see what else can be done.

Thanks very much for your feedback, most helpful and it also pushed me to try and sort it out myself.
Neil