Author Topic: Bit Miffed  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Bit Miffed
« on: March 14, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »
I’ve only had a couple of different makes of Chuck over the years, Axminster and Record power. I sold the RP on as it wasn’t as good a fit on my Lathe as the Axminster Chuck. I have a job now though that requires gripping the inside of a 45mm hole and I’m a bit miffed that many, if not most manufacturers make suitable Pin Chuck jaws except Axminster! Looking at an old catalogue they used to make them but no longer.  Several other ways of doing it I suppose including turning a Jam Chuck but I’d really like some jaws for my Chuck for the job.

I’m now considering a little RP SC2 as they make the perfect jaws for the job. Problem is not much else available for that particular Chuck.  :(

Anyone got an SC2, is it any good?

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Re: Bit Miffed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »
Hi Bill,

If I understand your problem and if it's for an Axminster chuck, would these suffice?  (Might be less expensive than a second chuck)

https://www.axminstertools.com/80mm-gripper-jaws-410171

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 09:30:02 PM »
I’ve actually got that set of jaws and they’re too big to go into the recess. Axminster make a smaller set but the jaws aren’t very long so I’d be worried about them marking the inside of the work. I think plain sided Pin jaws might be better.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 12:53:55 AM »
How about these with a wooden packer fitted to the external grove on each jaw I have done something similar with 4 dowels held in place with elastic bands, so that the outside connection doesn't damage the rim of the piece when in use and the timber stays in place for mounting / dismounting

https://www.axminstertools.com/100mm-spigot-jaws-810067
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 01:33:10 AM »
According to the spec, both the Axminster F jaws and 25mm O'Donnel jaws will grip a 45mm recess.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:06:29 AM »
Don't know about the F Jaws, but the O'Donnel is on a very shallow dovetail so may not suit Bill's requirement, though they are excellent jaws and highly recommended.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 07:07:07 AM »
hi Bill,

I'd assumed you've considered a set of Axminster wood plate jaws or a set of soft jaws and use to turn a set to fit?

https://www.axminstertools.com/100mm-wood-jaw-plates-910403

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-115mm-soft-jaws-102166
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:12:17 AM by Sandy »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 11:29:10 AM »
Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Over the past couple of days I’ve studied most of the accessory jaws available for the various chucks and not found an ideal solution other than the pin jaws for the SC2. I’ve actually considered all the suggestions but discounted them for one reason or another. Once again the problem of not knowing which accessory jaws fit a variety of chucks doesn’t help! I think I’ll invest in the little SC2, it’s just a shame RP make so few jaws for it. I think I’ve also decided though that if I want to get another Chuck in the future it will be the SC3 as it’s direct threaded and you can use Sorby, Nova and Charnwood Nexus 3 jaws in addition to the RP ones on it. It would be handy to know if the Rutland and/or Chronos SCT jaws fit as well.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »
A dedicated mini chuck will have it's uses beyond the pin jaw reason for buying it. (that is what I say about a lot of tools that take my fancy!) I switched from Sorby / Nova chucks to Axminster for the jaw range and ease of changing (I always buy carriers with the jaws) but bottom line is whichever way you go there is a trick the other has that you will want!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
Very true Pete. It’s a shame really that I can’t fit my Axminster SK100 to my metalwork lathe or I may be able to make or modify jaws etc. Sadly no one makes a 100mm backplate with a M33x3.5 male thread and register on it. Also sadly the thread pitches on my lathe only goes up to 3mm.

That little SC2 does look rather cute though and it’s not too expensive ...  :D

Edit: ok, all ordered. Only £109.98 inc the extra Pin jaws. Maybe the little dovetail jaws that come with the Chuck may come in handy as well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:39:29 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 04:23:21 PM »
Robert Soeby make pin jaws but may be very costly if you have to buy a chuck to match

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »
I saw those. Like some others they’re only 25mm dia. I’m not sure how well they’d grip inside a 45mm recess. They’re also four times the price of some other makes. Plus buying a Chuck to take them.