Author Topic: Chuck Hubs - views please  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Chuck Hubs - views please
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 12:45:57 AM »
I have looked at various ways of storing my chucks and other spindle thread based items (nut based sanding disks, friction plates etc.) and decided the best place was in drawers where they will not get plastered in dust / shavings etc. I like drawers controllable spaces which stops me burying stuff with more stuff, and dust free storage as well, that is why I now have lots of them in the workshop :-) I think Chuck Hubs were designed for creating art installations not for sensible storage. Now if someone could just point me in the direction of the TARDIS drive to make my workshop bigger on the inside I will be sorted....

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »
Many thanks everyone - I'm told, but cant confirm, that the Axminster chuck hubs did run out at one point so somebody's buying them and the reviews are very complimentary - I'll stick to the shelf idea - all the best  :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
I’m sure I’ve seen an Axminster Chuck Hub used for something other than its original intended purpose but I can’t remember what that was now.

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »
I use a chuck hub mounted sideways on a block of wood which is the clamped to the bench. This gives me an extra work station when turning not needed such as forming hollow barley twists and carving.
John
John English

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 04:20:48 PM »
The advantage of a sloping shelf and pegs is that any shavings will fall off rather than collect on a standard shelf. I did look at the axminster ones and was put off by having to keep unscrewing the chucks from them

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 05:46:51 PM »
I use a chuck hub mounted sideways on a block of wood which is the clamped to the bench. This gives me an extra work station when turning not needed such as forming hollow barley twists and carving.
John

Both this and also mounted to a post that fits the banjo are good uses for the chuck hub. allows you to run your piece through 90° to work on it while keeping the chuck position solid.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 08:24:09 AM »
I put up a dedicated shelf for all of my chucks, the chucks are stored on any flat surface I can find in the workshop but the chuck shelf comes in handy for everything else!!

Offline GordonSkipper

• iron
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »
The only valid use for these, as far as I am concerned, is when using the chuck to hold a workpiece when working on it,  off the lathe i.e. carving, piercing etc. The hub is mounted horizontally so it helps visualise your work in its upright position. This function is mentioned by Axminster but hasn't been raised in this post so far. It also means that since  the workpiece and chuck are removed as one, thet can be put back on the lathe without any worriies of misalignment
Using  them just for storage is unnecessary expenditure and there are much more cost effective options, as already mentioned by others.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
John

Yes, that’s a good idea John.

These seem to be less than half the price of the Axminster ones? No idea of postage though.

https://www.glennlucaswoodturning.com/product/hub-storage-for-chuck-and-faceplate/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:22:45 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 12:03:05 PM »
As luck would have it I have a project that requires some additional work after turning. I’d like it to be fairly accurate and started thinking about possible jigs and then this thread popped into my head so I’ve just bought one of these Chuck hubs.  ;D
Thanks then to the OP for bringing this topic up or I may not have thought of it!  ;)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »
I keep mine in plastic paint pots with a lid, a dessicant bag and alls good
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
Not that this really matters and I can't say that I've lost any sleep, and I do appreciate all the replies I received, you all gave me stuff to think about, but no one actually answered my original question  :) - I was really asking if anyone had any views on the difference between the Chuck hubs supplied by Glenn and Axminster.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 03:20:03 PM »
Not that this really matters and I can't say that I've lost any sleep, and I do appreciate all the replies I received, you all gave me stuff to think about, but no one actually answered my original question  :) - I was really asking if anyone had any views on the difference between the Chuck hubs supplied by Glenn and Axminster.

Oh dear, we all seem to have missed that! Apologies again.  :)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 07:19:36 PM »

As most don't have any and some have one for good reason or one brand, hope for comparison was a long stretch :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »
Looking at the pictures the GL ones don’t look as substantial as the Axminster ones. Probably ok just for parking chucks though. I’m confident the Axminster one delivered today will work well for supplementary work held in a Chuck.