Author Topic: Chuck Hubs - views please  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Dancie

• bronze
Chuck Hubs - views please
« on: March 13, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »
In order to tidy my workshop, I’m thinking of buying some chuck hubs, I’ve come across two types, one supplied by Glenn Lucus the other by Axminster. There’s a difference in price, even with tax, exchange rate and delivery taken into consideration the Glenn Lucus hubs work out about £6 cheaper each – does anyone have any views on either please? There does seem to be more thread of the Axminster ones.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: Chuck Hubs - views please
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:05:23 PM »
I think it was on here that I saw some made from hot melt glue which looked OK.  Can’t remember what was used as a release agent though.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 01:06:44 PM »
Find someone locally with a 3D printer to print them for you the files are freely available on Thingiverse. Should cost a fraction of the metal ones and will work fine that is what I have done.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 01:46:59 PM »
I’m all for keeping a workshop tidy but I find it hard to justify these things.
Do you really need or actually want to screw the Chuck on and off these things?  ::) They seem like an excellent way of parting those poor souls with obsessive compulsive disorder from their money. I only have one WT Chuck but I’ve got four or five MW chucks and they live in a steel cabinet when they’re not being used.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
An alternative would be a suitable sized length of dowel (you could turn it yourself  ;) ) and just push on pull off.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »
I keep mine hanging on dowels on the wall. Easy to access, out of harms way and apart from dust to blow off no harm to the threads. Never see the need for spending money unnecessarily LOl.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
My lathe is M33 3.5mm.

i bought a 1m length of threaded rod off ebay and cut it into 2 1/4" lengths and drilled two holes to hold them on the wall.

best thing i ever did to hold all my chucks and accessories.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:13:12 PM by seventhdevil »

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »
If I had a chuck hub I think I'd probably use two hands to remove / replace the chuck due to it's weight and value.  These would frustrate me for both the time and the hassle factors.

I also wonder if anyone that uses chuck hubs has found they start to 'cross-thread' the chuck onto the hub when replacing it?

So, like some folks above I don't see the necessity of these gizmos and just have 1/2" 3/4" dowel pegs glued at a sight upward angle into a board on the wall.  That way I can grip my chucks one-handed and simply pull or push the chuck off/on - so less risk of me dropping and damaging my chucks.

That's my thinking anyway.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:50:54 PM by Sandy »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 06:23:56 PM »
Every time I see some gizmo like this the skinflint in me asks two aquetions
1 Do I need / want this?
2 If yes can I make it

Pete

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 06:29:33 PM »
Pete,

Likewise, and being a 'prudent' Scot, with several gadgets/gizmos about that I think might be useful my first thoughts are also to think 'home-turned/made' using wood, nylon etc. 

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
Hello everyone, many thanks for all the replies, oddly some sound slightly irritated by my question  :) My chucks are in a drawer and I need that drawer for something else so I guess I'll make another shelf, the dowel idea is a good one though - no one seems to think the chuck hubs are the best idea since bread was sliced, the crossed thread did cross my mind and yes they are blooming expensive  - stay safe everyone - all the best.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:35:25 AM by Dancie »
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Personally I wasn't ittitated so much as bewildered by these. I had never heard of them, had to look them up and then couldn't understand why anyone would spend good money on something that just makes extra work. So many 'gadgets' that it would be impossible to live withlut out there LOL.

Pete

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 04:04:35 PM »
Apologies if it came over wrong, I wasn’t irritated either. Slightly confused why anyone would think they are a good idea though, irrespective of price. ;D I think a shelf at a slight angle with some dowels fitted would be a better idea.
Second picture down looks pretty good although the shelf could be narrower.
https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=84378

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 05:01:26 PM »
Hi Dancie,

Apologies if I came across negative.  I've just corrected my post as I checked and realised it was 3/4" dowel, not 1/2", that I used.  My lathe spindle  is M33 thread and my latest chuck is a heavy SK114, but isn't too heavy for the dowel solution, especially with the upward angled dowels, if you decide to go that route. 

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 05:14:15 PM »
Personally, I do not see the point in spending money on a chuck storage solution when it is easy enough to do it yourself. Suggestions of using dowels or threaded studding will do the job very well.

For a more sophisticating solution, have a look at Mike Waldt's youtube videos. His system is the dog's whatsits and provides storage for multiple chucks as well as jaw sets.
Philip from sunny St Issey