Author Topic: Solution to holding snooker cue shaft that passes through headstock.  (Read 781 times)

Offline Rjsl

• iron
Hi all,
I have an old Turnstyler Slide bed lathe and was wondering if I can adapt it in some way to hold the tip end of a cue. The headstock spindle on this lathe is through bored 20mm diameter except at Chuck end which is 25mm diameter. The unusual way that chucks and faceplates fit to this lathe is by a threaded bar passing through headstock and threading into a backplate that is already attached to Chuck and faceplates supplied. I am looking for ideas of how to pass the thin end of a cue through the spindle and be able to hold it securely and accurately so I can work on the tip end of cues. I will try to attach some photos.
Many thanks
Rob

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Solution to holding snooker cue shaft that passes through headstock.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
I have made one on my old lathe, it took quite a bit of out of the box thinking. Started by tapering the corners on one end fed that through the headstock to get the length onto the lathe, then turned the wide handle end and taper from tail stock to chuck. Then reversed it and fed it through the headstock with the bulk of the cue out the end of the lathe cobbled together a roller system to support that while I finished the taper to the tip end. Figured if I ever wanted another I would outsource to someone with a bigger lathe.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Rjsl

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
Thanks for reply.
I am not looking to make a cue on the lathe, I can pass a cue shaft through but would like to mount a Chuck ideally with maybe a bush around the cue. There are specific cue lathes that have this facility and enables tips to be removed, preparation for new ferrules, etc.
Many thanks

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
I watched a video about the making of a top quality snooker cue and most of it seemed to be made by hand with a plane. I think only the cheap ones are done on a lathe.

Offline Rjsl

• iron
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »
Yes, that's right.
It's purely for installing the metal ferrules and tip work.
Thanks anyway.