Author Topic: Acacia third, biggest and final bowl.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Fester

• iron
Acacia third, biggest and final bowl.
« on: March 06, 2021, 03:02:53 PM »
160mm diameter sphere, fiished with shellac sanding sealer and briwax.

Thats the last of the chopping boards and there are no more on the Aldi website.

If this lockdown ever ends and I can get some supplies, I will make some trays to fit inside he sphere.

Toodlepip

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:05:40 PM by Fester »
Every penny a prisoner.

Toodlepip

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Acacia third, biggest and final bowl.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 08:49:36 PM »
I cannot fault the turning, I cannot see any tool marks or finish smears but that finial does not sit on the lid properly (there is a gap under it) and really does not look right.

Don't take that to heart, lid knobs, and finials that really look right and work in the eye are some of the hardest things to get right.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Fester

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:22:55 AM »
I cannot fault the turning, I cannot see any tool marks or finish smears but that finial does not sit on the lid properly (there is a gap under it) and really does not look right.

Don't take that to heart, lid knobs, and finials that really look right and work in the eye are some of the hardest things to get right.

Thanks for the reply and the justified comments about the finial.

I have three finials I am not happy about any of them. For the photograph I quickly pushed one in and failed to notice the gap I had left between the lid.

The box is still a work in progress. I like the spherical shape but it rolls too easily and I have narrowly avoided the box rolling off the table a couple of times but I do not want to increase the size of the flat at the bottom. What do you think of the leg / foot I have added?

Please comments only about the form, I know it needs finishing.
Every penny a prisoner.

Toodlepip

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 05:31:03 PM »
If I get a vote its no no no to the foot idea. Try turning a separate ring, just big enough for the flat to also be in contract with the table, and resting the piece on it. As for the finial I think the secret is to have a mixture of 'Fat' and slender elements which must be cut crisply and not over sanded. Also try putting the largest element either 1/3rd of the way up or down from top or bottom. I have a box full of finials which didnt look right and are now seeking another piece of work to adorn.
All the best with it
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 08:21:15 PM »
That foot is a No.

The box is the important piece of work so the foot needs to be as small as possible, just enough to lift it of the surface it rests on. The under curve of the lower part of the sphere needs to look like it is floating off that surface. Don't think you can achieve that from where you are now, maybe next time.

So if you are adding a foot, no more than 1/3rd the height of the sphere and about 1/3rd the diameter as well, it's all about proportion,.

As for the finial, stop turning them and looking to see if they look right, draw a circle (with prefered foot if necessary) and draw, draw until you see the one that is right. Truthfully, I'm not sure an ornate finial will work, think knob, something big enough to lift it. Give it a good shape but don't overwork it. Another option is a 'found' finial, a bit of antler, an interesting stone or strange bit of metal, anything as long as it is 'in proportion' to the overall height of the turning and does not overpower it.

Play, experiment, if nothing seems to work, put it to one side, eventually the right 'thing' will put itself in front of you in that 'ah-ha' moment.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 10:59:36 PM »
The finial should continue any curve and give a sort of finale to the piece. Chunky finials rarely work they should be delicate and elegant. there are exceptions but they should never pull the eye away from the main part of the work. The foot should elevate the piece so it looks like it is floating. Unless it is meant to be a major part pof the wprk as in a tazaa it shpould a;most ne invisible. It should be a foot not a poedestal.
Seems a lot of negative critique here but we wouldn't want to spoil what is essentially a lovely shape and form of the box.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Fester

• iron
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »

Seems a lot of negative critique here but we wouldn't want to spoil what is essentially a lovely shape and form of the box.

I am a beginner with only a couple of small pieces to my name, Up till now I have been concerned with tools, technique and equipment now I am having to start and think more about form and finishes, and in this regard I am struggling, so much to learn.

I asked or advice because I have doubts, and you have all managed to put my doubts into words and your advice is truely appreciated.

Thank you.
Every penny a prisoner.

Toodlepip

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »
Hi again Fester
Im shocked to learn that you are so new to this captivating but frustrating (in equal measure) hobby of ours. I assumed that you were new to feet and finial but the box itself is seemingly the work of someone with far more experience. Well done!
If I may add another snippet or two of, often overlooked, advice......
There comes a time when you have learned all you can from a piece of work and it is time to move on and put those lessons into the next project.
Your first attempt at anything is unlikely to be your best and the lessons learned are far more valuable than the piece of wood that taught them.
And finally..... Bear in mind that everything you read or hear, here, in print or by other means, no matter how eminent the originator, is an opinion NOT a fact so take it all in, mash it all up together in your noddle and then form you own OPINIONS, remembering, of course, that these are also never going to become facts. 
All the best with your next project
Brian