Author Topic: Scroll saws  (Read 1991 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Scroll saws
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »
I have an olsd scroll saw I was given a decade or so ago and it has become something I use more and more but is shall we say past its best. Much as I would love to get a hegner or equivalent I can't afford or justify that outlay for something I wouldn't use every day. I am using it to cut small shapes and inclusions in some projects and need something that is accurate, doesn't bounce around and vibrate like a suomo wrestler on a trampoline and doesn't cost the earth. Had a quick look on ebay but all the decent sales are collect only and too far away. Do any of you use one and if so any recommendations. I am looking at between £100 - £150 which is the lower end. Several in the field but not sure about some of them. Not Axmnsters biggest fan and everyone seems sold out of the record, only two makes I am familiar with in this price bracket.

Advice welcome please

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Dancie

• bronze
Re: Scroll saws
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:48:49 AM »
Hello Pete, how many 'sumo wrestler on a trampoline' do you know or have you seen ? lol  :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 10:52:58 AM »
Hello Pete, how many 'sumo wrestler on a trampoline' do you know or have you seen ? lol  :)
None but got a great imagination. Describes the one I have now. Mo will happily use the bandsaw but the scroll saw scares her witless and shg-he won't go near it LOL.

Pete

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »
I read up on them some time ago to see if it was possible to obtain a modestly priced model that worked well without too many issues. It seems not, unless you’re lucky. It also seems that one particular design is head and shoulders above all others and has been copied by several manufacturers, including Axminster.

https://www.dictum.com/en/scroll-saw-baal/pegas-scroll-saw-16-inch-720860

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-series-ex-16-scroll-saw-101771

Sadly way outside my budget for just occasional use. Good luck with whatever you get.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »
Dictuim do make good tools but that is beyond my budget and may well cost a lot more now with custom and import tax as it's German. That and the hegner ones would be my first choice if I had the cash but I can't justify or afford that sort of cost at the moment.

Pete

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
Intersting that one is out of stock and the other can only be sold and shipped within the US.
 At the moment m the only ones that seem available within my price btacket are the Record or Axminster craft which are either sold out or I am wary of and the ones by Draper, Sealey etc none of which I am really sure of.

Pete

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 12:23:03 PM »
Get a second hand Hegner  you won't regret it!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »
Love to but all the ones I have seen are collection pnly and too far to go.Much as I would love one a 100mile trip is pi=ushing it.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »
I picked up a Record Power SS16V Scroll Saw from one of their travelling shows it was half price, now discontinued should have expected that! it was worth the £65 I paid for cutting out inlays etc. but really isn't up to cutting anything more than a few mm thick.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 05:05:33 PM »
Like many of the tools and machines you buy today quite often they are from the same factory. I looked at scroll saws to replace my one but found that buying new you have what I call the cheap range then a big gap in price before the next ones.
I at present have a Rexon saw which is the same as the record ss16v it is OK but found that using pinless blades can be a pain in the rear.
But I agree that the second hand market is the best way to go for a decent machine and as you say I also found that they are no where near me and would involve traveling.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 05:20:01 PM »
Was following a Hegner on fleabay looked amazing for £55 with one day to go....went for over £400 and over 100 miles away collection only. Axmister trade there at the moment that is local for £130 see how that goes.

Pete

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
Another vote for Hegner

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »
I can start a crowdfunder and you can all donate LOL. Only need about a grand. Seriously I would love one too and agree the hegner would be best but as I won't be using it enough to justify that sort of money (even if I had it) I need to be a bit more realistic I am afraid.

Pete

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 06:26:47 PM »
Keep a eye out on Facebook marketplace as well , One on at the moment for £150