Author Topic: New Axminster Lathe problems  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Kev at 9K Creations

• Kev at 9K Creations
  • iron
New Axminster Lathe problems
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
Hi all.

I have recently purchased a new Axminster AWL370WL variable speed Wood lathe.

As it doesn't come with a hand wheel on the headstock. I thought I would turn one and use the internal thread to attach it. I asked their technical department what the thread was and was told it was a 1/2" Whitworth, 12tpi Left Hand thread. 
I have tried to source one but even Axminster cannot source one. 
It has made me wonder about their other products if they are using obsolete parts?  Where are they sourcing them from and what happens if it needs a repair? 
I did have a problem with it until it bedded in, as the headstock was getting above bearable hand heat.  Also, the tailstock had a lot of slack in the screw until I forced the handwheel tighter and shortened the play
Kev at 9K Creations

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: New Axminster Lathe problems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »
I’m sorry to hear Axminster have chosen this thread specification. I’m not that surprised though. Both my Axminster AT1416VS lathe and my Ultimate Edge Sharpening System have a mixture of UNC and Metric fasteners. It’s a poor policy in my view but I suspect it’s a financial decision to do with, in my case, the manufacturers in Taiwan.
If it’s any help you can buy a suitable die from RDG Tools to make your own fastener.

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/1-2--x-12tpi--BSW-LEFT-HAND-SPLIT-DIE-7658LH4.html

Let us know how you get on, it may help others in the future.

Offline Kev at 9K Creations

• Kev at 9K Creations
  • iron
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 02:57:41 PM »
Thanks for that I was totally at a loss.  I know its a financially thing but as you say, very poor show.
Kev at 9K Creations

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 03:40:28 PM »
A small piece of advice if I may, just in case you missed it in the manual. These type of lathes (Reeves Drive) benefit from regular lubrication of the drive shafts on which the pulleys move.