Author Topic: Sharpening grinding wheel advice  (Read 1636 times)

Offline michaelperez

• iron
Sharpening grinding wheel advice
« on: August 24, 2022, 05:48:11 PM »
Hi, i am in a  dilemma about which grinding wheel should i buy, I don’t  have information and experience with grinding wheels and in Peru there aren’t many options.
I have a regular old fashion grinder 1/2 HP 3,450 RPM, that has 3/4" black wheels (doesn’t have any specification) and 5/8 shaft. Is very difficult for me to take a decision because of the lack of knowledge it’s been more like a bet what to buy.
My options are:
In Peru , Makita white stone, Aluminium oxide, 60 grit $23
Axminster 180 grit CBN wheel in the door of my house around $180 to $190.
I know CBN is a better option but I’d like to know if I really need to buy CBN and is a MUST or NOT so indispensable and is more like a luxury.
I’m about to go for the Makita because i can’t find information and feedback about the Axminster CBN wheel brand. So please your experience and advices are welcome and it’s going to help me a lot.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Re: Sharpening grinding wheel advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 08:06:07 PM »
For CBN wheels take a look on AliExpress they are far more reasonably priced there. If you can afford it CBN wheels are the way to go, they generally remove less material for each sharpening, don't need dressing, are always the same diameter so do not wear.

Offline michaelperez

• iron
Re: Sharpening grinding wheel advices
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 10:03:42 PM »
Thank you, so much I just checked at Aliexpress and it would’ve very similar in  price after all the importing process, the international shipping increases the price. My concern is that I don’t know anything about brands and quality,
And I don’t want to buy something I’ll regret in the future the Axminster is the cheapest I could find ( $ 130 for 200mm diameter with a 32mm wide face coating extends 15mm down each side.
Does anyone have any experience or feedback for Axminster CBN wheels?

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
Michael,

Things you should consider. How much turning do you do? The more time in the workshop then consider the more expensive wheel.
I would point out that a 60 grit white wheel would be way to coarse for sharpening, and you will waste a lot of (relatively) expensive tool steel you really want a finer grit something like 120g.

I use a lot of Axminster equipment, but not the wheels as I have a Tormek. I have found Axminster to be reliable, and never had to return anything to them.

Of course being so far away may make things more difficult if you do have a problem. I would have no problem with purchasing from Axminster.

John

Offline michaelperez

• iron
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 01:08:41 AM »
Thank you so much, now feel more confident buying Axminster brand and everything I saw in Axminster looks very nice, I also was looking for their live center set.
Greetings

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »
Glad we can help.

I have Axminsters Pro Drives and ring centres. Both are excellent. Now rarely use any other type of centre. The Pro Drive with sprung centre points are really good when trying to align odd shaped timber.
John

Offline michaelperez

• iron
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 11:50:59 PM »
Thank you so much for your answer and help, maybe  im going to buy the live center set , I was also looking also if they make  dead center or something to turn pen between centers.
Greetings

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 09:26:03 PM »
Michael,

I have the multi head live centre which is very useful at times.
I'm not sure what you mean by a dead centre. In the UK most pen turning is done on a mandrel. But that is a another rabbit hole down which to pour money!

John

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 10:31:58 PM »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline michaelperez

• iron
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 10:36:38 PM »
John thank you, hahahha, all woodworking has been a huge investment for us.
First I was going to buy a simple mandrel, then I saw some option and decided to search before I buy anything because I don’t know any about it, after my research if I’m not mistaken, I realized that there are basically 3 options
1 mandrel and live center
2 mandrel and live saver( like the Axminster compressor)
3 turning between centers in this case you need a dead center 60° for the headstock and also a 60° live center for the tailstock (special and regular bushings are optional, in this alternative only is possible to turn one stock at a time.

Today I’ll have to decide if I go for the second or third one, not sure yet.
Greetings

Offline michaelperez

• iron
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 10:47:46 PM »
Pete, thank you so much if I go for TBC I’ll buy this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQPKTL6/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=A1W9IX5GGBXFVF&psc=1
Otherwise I’ll buy the Axminster  compressor.
For me is difficult buying from Europe because my courier works basically in USA so in Europe i just found this option until now : Axminster (ships for free to USA to my courier address and then to Peru)
Dictum and workshop heaven ships directly to Peru.
Greetings