Author Topic: Rutland chuck jaws  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Flame

• iron
Rutland chuck jaws
« on: February 22, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »
Advice needed, anyone  know if other makers jaws fit a rutlands 100 chuck.   tia.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Rutland chuck jaws
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
Not much help, only seen pictures of the Rutlands chuck! but they do look to be using the Nova system, also used by Sorby and Record Power so if you know anyone with any of those 3 chucks you could ask to try some jaws see if they fit properly.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »
Looking at the Record Power and Rutlands chucks, the jaws are clearly different but they look to have very similar if not the same mounts for the accessory jaws?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:28:09 PM »
Looking at the Record Power and Rutlands chucks, the jaws are clearly different but they look to have very similar if not the same mounts for the accessory jaws?

They do need actually checking though the VicMarc looks similar in pictures but I am told they are not compatible.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
Just goes to show, appearances can be deceptive.  ;)

What’s needed are for some accurate measurements of all the popular chucks together with some actual trial fitting of accessory jaws. This can then be disseminated amongst turners.

It’s not so much of a bother to me though as I’m only likely to buy Axminster chucks.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 11:27:02 PM »
My chucks are now all Axminster without the silly new safety screw that stops you easily switching carriers. BUT I previously had a Sorby Patriot and a Super Nova and can confirm that the jaws are interchangeable on those two, also the Record Power site states that all it's chucks are compatible with the Nova jaws, which is a start point...

Maybe this should be a task for when clubs reopen, bring in your chucks and see if we can share jaws night :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:30:15 PM »

Maybe this should be a task for when clubs reopen, bring in your chucks and see if we can share jaws night :-)

I was thinking something very similar!  :)

Offline M.Straughton

• iron
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:35 AM »
If your chuck model is XT9000 4 inch or XT700 according to my manual the following are compatible
Super nova 2
Charnwood Nexus 3
Charnwood viper 3
record power SC4
hope this helps

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:52:14 PM »
I think you may be able to add the Sorby Chuck to that list as well?

I stand to be corrected but although the Axminster Chuck is very different I believe at one point they supplied jaws that could accept other makes. Sadly no longer listed.

Offline roye the boy

• iron
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 04:34:02 PM »
i have the rutlands 100 and the sc4 and the rutlands jaws fit the sc4 using the rutlands screws and sc4 jaws fit the rutland 100