Author Topic: Insurance limitations  (Read 1200 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
Insurance limitations
« on: February 20, 2021, 01:27:23 PM »
I remember reading on this forum that the AWGB policy covers demonstrations by members so long as they aren't receiving payment. That throws up the question 'Membership of what?'. The AWGB in general or the specific club in question. Can anyone throw any light please?
Brian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Insurance limitations
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04:33 PM »
Each club (those who choose to take up the cover) has its own policy which covers club members at club events so the membership in question is membership of the club.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
thank you Paul
Brian

Offline GordonSkipper

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »
Each club (those who choose to take up the cover) has its own policy which covers club members at club events so the membership in question is membership of the club.
Paul, please could you post your view on a situation that arose a few years ago, at one of the clubs of which I was a member.
Our events secretary booked an external demonstrator who did not have his own insurance. He said the club could make him a member for the night (cost £5) and that would provide his insurance. He was paid both a fee (£175) and his travelling expenses (£42) so many of us queried why he did not have his own insurance. He freely admitted he was demonstrating to clubs all over the country and using this to avoid having to pay his own insurance premium. That seemed unfair to those demonstrators who DID have their own insurance. What do you think?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 06:45:54 PM »
Sorry but whoever that demonstrator was was puling a flanker in my opinion. Anyone who teaches or demnostrates should have insurance. It is not as if it costs a fortune.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 06:56:05 PM »
Going to be a while before this is an issue, can't imagine demonstrators liability insurance covers tripping over your zoom connection!  :o
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline GordonSkipper

• iron
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 07:51:17 PM »
Sorry but whoever that demonstrator was was puling a flanker in my opinion. Anyone who teaches or demnostrates should have insurance. It is not as if it costs a fortune.

Pete
Pete, I completely agree but many on the committee were happy to go along with it. What makes it worse, in my view, was that he was the chairman of another woodturning club.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 11:33:08 PM »
Anyone charging for a demo isn't covered on the club insurance - it would only allow for reasonable expenses (travel & materials for example).

It isn't a question of "fairness" and insurance is not mandatory but with no insurance, the demonstrator risks all the assets they own in the event of a claim and for a standard club set up as an association, the club officers are financially liable for any debts incurred by the club including claims for negligence.

It's up to the club to assess the risk and if they think necessary, ensure the demonstrator carries appropriate insurance. If the demonstrator was just there to do a talk, the club officers may decide the risk is negligible so there would be no need for insurance but it's up to the club to assess and decide.

The insurance policies also state that risk assessments must be carried out. Without that, the insurers may decide not to cover a claim and you're back to square one so both clubs and demonstrators should do risk assessments and decide what insurance is appropriate.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
I would like to point out that all members of the RPT that conduct demonstrations are required to carry their own public liability insurance. They know this as it is part of the joining requirements. If you book a member of the RPT and they do not have insurance don't let them demonstrate or report it to the RPT.