Author Topic: Stratos XL  (Read 2362 times)

Offline dubturner

• copper
Stratos XL
« on: January 30, 2021, 09:57:19 PM »
Hi - I am just wondering if any has anyone put the Stratos XL through its paces and what is your opinion of it after extended use.
Thanks
P

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Stratos XL
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 10:37:33 PM »
Why not give Simon Hope a call, I believe it’s what he uses?

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
Thanks Bill - I was looking for an independent view. I realise Simon Hope uses and sells them, Indeed I bought an FU-230 from him the year before last for my Chapter.
I had been hoping to get the views -good, bad or indifferent from people who had bought one and who could be completely unbiased.
Cheers
P

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 12:00:12 PM »
Have a look at Mike Waldt on Youtube. He also bought a 230 then upgraded to an XL. He did reviews on both and on more recent video's show him using the XL. He is pretty good at responding to questions.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »
I have to say it’s a very solid looking machine with a deep bed. A three horse power motor sounds more than up to most jobs? There are other users on YouTube so they may be worth a look? Good luck with whatever you decide and report back if you get a moment.  ;)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 09:22:59 PM »
Simon Hope is a very genuine man he only sell quality lathes , He loves  woodturning and is a very talented turner , Not just in it for the money

Just my opinion  :)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:31 PM »
Yes, Simon Hope is a very nice guy. I’ve met and spoken to him several times at the shows.

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 11:24:57 PM »
Woodspinner and Bill21 No offene meant to anyone - I know SH is great woodturner - I have seen him demonstrate several times. I also respect his experience and love of woodturning.
I know the Stratos XL is a quality machine. What I was looking for was the opinion of someone who has been using the lathe all the time and their views of its performance including the little things that might irritate that may not be obvious when initially purchasing.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:47:53 AM »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
I’ve used a Stratos XL bought new from Simon about 4 years ago. It’s been used almost every work  day as I am a full time turner. There have been a few upgrades made to the machine including the spindle lock which was a bit of a pain but not a deal breaker. I bought it because of the 3hp motor as standard and also it is a heavy machine.
I can’t really fault it and I would have said it was the best in the price range when I bought it.
I use it along side a shortbed VB 36 and it works as a good combination for me.
If money was no object I may have gone for a Oneway 24-36  but I couldn’t justify the extra cost.
Regards
Michael

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 08:23:07 AM »
24 36 has a fixed headstock , That put me off

Unless they have re designed it .

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 09:17:49 AM »
To be honest I hardly ever use that function.
Michael

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »
I use the option on my lathe when hollowing and doing anything with detail , Saves the back when leaning over  :)

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 03:28:25 PM »
Yes, understood . I usually start on the Stratos and hollow out on the VB. The one thing I didn’t mention was the tailstock is quite heavy and the swing away system might be a worth while investment too. I can’t make up my mind whether it’s a justifiable expense. I may have to consult with senior management.
Michael

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.