Author Topic: Spalted Beech, how to stop it rotting further  (Read 2156 times)

Offline 808raver

• iron
Spalted Beech, how to stop it rotting further
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
Hi, my first post so please be understanding if I'm asking the obvious.
I have recently befriended a tree surgeon who has been kind enough to give me the wood he has been sawing down.
This is my first green wood :) and it's wonderful to turn but he has given me some spalted beech, it's stable but I have noticed some white fur growing, I don't have anywhere inside to keep it out of the rain, nor do I think that would be a good idea because of checking. Should I not worry about it and as it slowly dries the fungus will die without ruining the wood or should I take some sort of action to prevent it going any further? and if so what action would members recommend?
Thank you in advance
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Spalted Beech, how to stop it rotting further
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »
Is it trunk , Branch , planks ?

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:18:19 PM »
It's a trunk cut into many pieces, one side has spalting and the other is untouched. The spalting isn't soft just has a nice pattern but fur is growing on the end grain. I turned a mallet and kept it indoors but still it grew white fur so I covered it in beeswax polish but I couldn't do that to all the logs. Thanks for the reply.
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 01:50:42 PM »
You can paint the wood with a borax solution to stop the mould growing. Once the wood is dry, the fungus won't grow in it anyway.

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 02:24:18 PM »
Thank you :) I have looked up Borax in the UK and it is available but it's not in stores, I'm sure Borax is a natural substance ( Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate) whereas we can use (Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate) ie Soda Crystals?
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 09:12:22 PM »
No Sodium Tetraborate is not an effective substitute.  I buy my Borax on-line via E-bay where there are good suppliers at a reasonable cost

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:30:21 PM »
Thank you, I'll checkout ebay.
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 02:00:18 AM »
I keep a barrel of ready mixed borax and water with a lid on it just drop timber in to it when blanks are cut and then stack them principally to stop woodworm but also works for mould as well. but basically get it dry and you won't have a problem.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 06:38:42 PM »
That's a great idea, I'll try and get a barrel for the long term but for now I'll just make up a solution and paint it on.
I've looked into preparing blanks for turning and it seems I've got my work cut out, I must have 50 logs in the back garden all needing the heart removing (I don't have a bandsaw) and the end grain waxing, plus now needing Borax
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:33 AM »
Sorry 808raver don't know your name --  This is an interesting hobby isn't it, there is always something to learn. Best of luck -- Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 04:35:35 AM »
It is a fantastic hobby, I am only 2 years into turning whereas I have been woodworking for many many years. Most of my woodworking is with hand tools, I got the lathe just to make round parts for other projects but now turning has opened up many avenues such as green wood, something I had never used before. Unfortunately I don't own a bandsaw so all of the green logs I have recently got will need splitting, fortunately I do have a maul and froe although the cherry is quite twisted in it's grain and very hard to split, I got the wood for free so I suppose I shouldn't complain.   
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »
Unfortunately I don't own a bandsaw so all of the green logs I have recently got will need splitting, fortunately I do have a maul and froe although the cherry is quite twisted in it's grain and very hard to split, I got the wood for free so I suppose I shouldn't complain.   
If we knew where you were based, one of us with a band saw or chainsaw might be in a position to help out? I would be very happy to help out as I was in exactly the same situation when I started out 😃

Offline 808raver

• iron
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »
Sorry I'm a new member, I did fill in where I am but it doesn't seem to have come up on the thread. I wonder if I need to fill it in somewhere else as well? I live in Thanet, South East of the UK.
I have spent the morning splitting the logs with a froe and maul, this was the first large batch I've done and by the end it was only taking 2 or 1 hit to split.
Andy
Location Ramsgate Kent

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:18 AM »

Your Location is on your Profile Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 09:25:43 PM »
808raver,

I'll say hello, as a Ramsgatonion.

Although I don't live there currently,
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!