Author Topic: Table lamp  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Table lamp
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:18:03 PM »
Still messing around with turning lamp shades. Here's the latest one - a table lamp in cherry. Turned green so it should distort and hopefully do something interesting, fingers crossed. The finish is straight off the tool and I left the natural edge on the top. The idea is that it looks cylindrical when unlit, but when illuminated the curved shape of the internal vessel can be seen. Internal wall thickness is 2mm, and the fins are a shade under 2mm thick. Whole thing is about 350mm tall. My wife suggested I could find a market selling them to brothels.......helpful as ever!

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Table lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:25:15 PM »
Nice contrast in colour when it is lit. I could imagine this giving a warm glow in the corner of a living room of a winter's night. Nice work :)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:00 PM »
Does the light shine through the wood?  When I have tried this I have found that the wood needs to be very thin (ie <2mm) to be reasonably translucent!  Possibly I am choosing the wrong woods... (love the colour though!)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, the light does shine through the wood. I find that when choosing a blank to work with, if the wood is still a little bit green the light transmission is better, so it's easier to turn it super thin. Once I've got the walls pretty thin I put a bulb inside the form while I'm turning it, and make the last cuts with the main light in the workshop turned off so I can get the wall thickness consistent, and thin enough to allow plenty of light through.This technique adds to the 'fun' considerably as turning in the dark makes it very easy to make a mistake...
The walls on this lamp are 2mm, although I have made some smaller versions that are thinner. Because this one was so large, I was a little wary of making the walls too thin in case it disintegrated.

One thing this one taught me is that modern LED bulbs tend not to let much light out below the level of the bulb, so the bottom half of the shade is not as well lit as the top. I guess its the way the bulbs are made, but finding LED bulbs that are bright enough and throw out plenty of light below bulb level is not easy. I only use LED bulbs in this type of work as they don't get very warm, so there is no fire risk. A conventional bulb would get too hot and cook the inside of the shade (and maybe set it on fire in the worst case scenario!)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
Percy - you might try the [thickish white/yellowish filament in a clear bulb] 'filament' type of LED bulb where the voltage converter that takes up the bottom part of the bulb is not needed (the filaments consist of a chain of LEDs that make up the voltage).  At all events the emission is then more or less isotropic. They are about as efficient.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:04:04 PM by willstewart »

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 07:10:02 PM »
Good shout - I found some nice bright ones on the web for around 3 quid, so I'll try some of those.