Author Topic: Bearings on a WIVAMAC 1000  (Read 2419 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
Bearings on a WIVAMAC 1000
« on: January 15, 2021, 04:30:03 PM »
I have a Wivamac 1000 Vario which is suffering from some vibration problems, which leads me to think that the bearings need replacing.

Does anyone have experience of doing this on this particular lathe ? Degree of difficulty ?

Assuming that is I can get the correct size and type of bearing.

Thanks in advance.
Bob G.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Bearings on a WIVAMAC 1000
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:56:11 PM »
Should be straight forward enough , Unbolt everything on the headstock and slide the shaft out , I have a manual somewhere , If you are stuck let me know and I will see if I can find it , Not sure if it's a user manual or a service manual

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:26:45 AM »
I used to have a Wivamac DB1000 and replaced the bearings on it twice. It wasn't too difficult to do.

Depending how old yours is, you may have two front bearings. Mine had and I was advised to get the bearing cap modified to use a single bearing as the double bearings which were originally intended to reduce play actually caused faster wear. I got mine modified and fitted a single front bearing.

The order of removal is - rear bearing first - loosen the grub screws and then remove the bolts and bearing carrier then file down any burrs left by the grub screws (so they don't stop the pulley sliding off). Then loosen the spindle pulley and then remove the bolts from the front bearing cap and withdraw the spindle from the front of the headstock, sliding off the pulley as you do. Once the spindle and front bearing cap is removed, you can separate them by removing the circlip from inside the bearing cap.

I think the trickiest part was getting the pulley to slide off the spindle because of the burr left by the grub screw.

Before you do all this, get a new drive belt and replace that at the same time.

From memory, the front bearing is a pretty standard sealed bearing. The rear bearing is a spherical bearing and that may be a little more expensive. No doubt Wivamac can supply them if you can't find them locally or online.

The interesting bit when you reassemble is getting the spindle aligned along the axis of the tailstock quill. this isn't straightforward and is probably the biggest shortcoming of the DB range.

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 05:50:35 PM »
Many thanks for the advice.

I do have the Operating and Owners Manual for the lathe, which gives instructions on how to change the belt. It is necessary to partly remove the rear bearing. so, I followed this and just took it a bit further and removed the bearing completely.

The hardest part was removing the hand wheel, luckily the instructions advised that it was a Left hand thread, even so it was a bit tight.

The only way I could think of doing it was to drill a hole on the outside edge of the wheel , then I was able to use a chuck removing spanner.

Next job is to remove the front bearing and then try and source replacements.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 07:28:09 PM »
Hi Bob
         Try this company for your replacement bearings I have found them top quality and excellent service very reasonable P&P
 also fast delivery.
                              www.wychbearings.co.uk     phone number 01527 313575

Regards John
John Smith

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:19:21 AM »
Many thanks for the information.

I've had a look at their website and I think I've identified the front bearing, I'm going down to the workshop later and will remove the front bearing so that I can purchase both at the same time.

B frustrating as I want to get down there now and carry on, but management says I've got to rest up. Standing is not good at the moment following recent knee replacement surgery, did too much yesterday hour and a half and could hardly walk after !

At least cricket is on tele.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »

Hi Bob,
           Your wife is quite correct I know how you feel I have recently had a Full hip replacement and I was told when I had done enough it is worth taking it easy keep doing the exercises it pays in the long run.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 08:22:14 AM »
I also have to replace the bearings on my DB1000 - an older double front bearing type.
I'm tempted to replace the double front bearings which i believe are NTN6206z rather than convert to single bearing, as I dont know what the mod to the front bearing cap is and Wivamac don't seem to either.
Does anyone have the code for the rear spherical bearing?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 08:37:34 PM »
I modified my old DB1000 for a single bearing. The change was to get a groove cut for a circlip to hold the single bearing in place. On mine, the engineering company didn't quite get it in the right place so I made a copper shim to pack out the bearing and all was good.

I don't have a DB1000 (I upgraded to a DB1200) any more so can't help you with the bearing number.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
Bearing Numbers are usually etched onto the casing of the bearing shell, worth looking at with a lense as it may be quite faint.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 04:33:33 PM »
Paul,

Can you remember how the handwheel comes off the DB1000. I was led to believe it was a lh thread, but having removed the grub screw, it spins freely enough but I can’t get it to come off the end of the spindle. I presume I need a bearing puller or is there a trick to it? Trying to just access the rear bearing to get the code.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 05:56:59 PM »
I think the handwheel was just held by the grubscrew. I don't remember there being a thread.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2022, 07:24:50 PM »
Some things are held on with 2 grub screws ,1st one does the hold , Second one stoppes the first one coming out .

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 05:07:03 PM »
You were spot on with the double grub screw on the handwheel (and also on the larger dia of the spindle pulley) The manual doesn't make this clear at all.

The other interesting thing to note on my version was that the spindle and spindle cap were both machined to take either a single or double front bearing arrangement. Presumably same spindle/spindle cap were used on the Db1000 and Db801.

Thanks for the help.

Offline jannickz

• iron
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 07:52:09 AM »
If you have the original manual, it might include instructions or diagrams for bearing replacement. Check if it specifies the type and size of the good bearings needed. Search online for parts diagrams or exploded views of your lathe model. These can help identify the specific bearings and their locations.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 01:52:13 AM by jannickz »