Author Topic: Record Coronet No 0 Brook Crompton motor bearings  (Read 607 times)

Offline paysdegalles

• iron
Record Coronet No 0 Brook Crompton motor bearings
« on: January 10, 2024, 02:29:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, so a bit of background:

My name is Pete, and I live in Sheffield.  About 35 years ago I went into the local tool shop to buy a drill bit, and came out with a lRecord Coronet No. 0 lathe! ( old habits die hard, I still go to Lidl for a bottle of milk, and come out with an electric drill etc!!!)

Anyway, after 35 years of happy wood turning, the lathe is in need of a bit of tlc. I've sources headstock bearings and a new belt without any problem, but the motor bearings are dry and in need of replacement.

I'e taken the motor apart, and managed to force some grease into the bearings, which now sound so much better. There's no play in the bearings, but  I'd like to replace them as it looks quite a straightforward job.

The motor is a BROOK CROMPTON 250W 1425rpm Single phase   No. BC2206H/08
I've been in touch with Brook Crompton, but they have no data on this motor.
I would be very grateful if anybody knows the spec of the bearings used in this motor please.

I guess I could just remove the old ones, measure them, and find replacements, but I'm reticent to do this, in case I can't get a match, and damage the original ones in the process, so this would be a last resort, as it's running reasonably quietly again now.

The other option would be a new motor, Brook Crompton still make an identical looking motor But it retails at almost $300 (they're prices are in $US )
Cheaper motors are available for other lathes such as "Machine Mart" for about £95,( but the  motor orientation is different and it rotates in the opposite direction)  but I'd like to keep the original as it's beautifully made, and the shaft protrudes by 50mm which is a lot longer than others I've seem, and I don't want the faff of machining an extension shaft.

Anyway, I'd be really grateful if anyone has any in fo on this motor please
Thanks very much
Best wishes....Pete

Offline jay

• copper
Re: Record Coronet No 0 Brook Crompton motor bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 03:10:45 PM »
    If you pull the bearings just take them to bearing supply house .Let them do the measuring and if they are ball races someone will make one . The thing is, bearing suppliers have cross references for loads of manufacturers many of whom use different reference numbers. Try and get Japanese ,Swedish ,UK makes Avoid Chinese Romanian etc I have had failures in the long term . Generally bearings of good quality are inexpensive. If however they are bronze oilite plain bearings that may need machine shop help     

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 03:31:38 PM »
If Brook Crompton can’t supply the data you need I’d be surprised if anyone else can. Is there any part of the bearing/shaft you can get a measurement from? If not I’d continue using the old ones until you have to replace them. As said, buy bearings from a respected manufacturer, not cheap generic ones.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 07:48:52 PM »

All bearings have a number etched on them so if you can get the bearing off you will find what you want try Wych Bearings limited www.wychbearings.co.uk I have found them very good.
                                                                 Regards John
John Smith

Offline paysdegalles

• iron
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 08:44:58 PM »
Thanks guys, all info gratefully received. I've measured the rear shaft diameter of the motor, which comes out vert easily, the front bearing seems to be on a bit tighter on the shaft. The motor has a bearing cover at each end which can be removed , and there's no complete seal beneath them, so I managed to press grease in, which has made a tremendous difference to the feel and noise.
I always try and get the best bearings I can get. I've recently used "Simply Bearings " in the UK, they were excellent value and delivered by return of post, and actually do free delivery. they have a chart on their website with all the bearing dimensions and related numbers, so great for matching unknown  types. But as you say they have the number etched on them.
The bearings I just bought ( for the headstock) were made by FAG which I seem to remember are a good make, and I was pleased to see that they are made in Europe too.
My record lathe was made a few miles from where I live here in Sheffield, sadly like most "British" products they're now sourced from the Far East
Anyway, think for now I'll just keep running it as it is. then bite the bullet and remove the old bearings.
Thanks again all for your advice....Pete

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 10:51:25 PM »
Glad it’s running well at the moment. Hopefully with new lubricant it will stay like that for a while.  ;)