Author Topic: Info on Henry taylor gouge??  (Read 1431 times)

Offline simon

• copper
Info on Henry taylor gouge??
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:41 PM »
Hi all,

I bought a used HT bowl gouge (5/8” HS1 as etched on tool).  Not seen these with pale handle like this before.  Is it a ‘vintage’ edition been at back of someone’s shed for eons?  If so it’s not seen much action as flute pretty much as new length. 

I’m assuming it’s standard HT HSS and not anything strange?   

Any one help?

Thanks,
Simon

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Info on Henry taylor gouge??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:57:24 PM »
I would say it's a carbon steel model

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
If it has HS1 stamped on it it will  not be carbon steel though the handle does look like an old style. It will be fine for use whichever it is. Carbon steel gets a super sharp edge but doesn't keep it. You should find this will keep its edge a lot longer.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 10:41:10 AM »
May have been bought handle-less and an old handle re-used. Done that a few times myself
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »
I'm hoping not C-steel as I only have CBN grinding wheels and iirc they are ruined by c-steel as not hard enough.

No sure it's been re-handled as no signs of bashing + got the rubber end bung on it they I believe only comes with the HS1 gouge from HT.

Think just an old one ......?

Simon

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »
I'm hoping not C-steel as I only have CBN grinding wheels and iirc they are ruined by c-steel as not hard enough.

No sure it's been re-handled as no signs of bashing + got the rubber end bung on it they I believe only comes with the HS1 gouge from HT.

Think just an old one ......?

Simon

Bashing! I make most of my handles, reuse some others and there is never any sign of bashing!  :)
It says HS1 on the blade I would think that gives a very high confidence that it is HS1 steel which is a stainless steel alloy high in nickel low in carbon.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 03:06:13 PM »

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »

It says HS1 on the blade I would think that gives a very high confidence that it is HS1 steel which is a stainless steel alloy high in nickel low in carbon.

HS1 is the code for the Peter Child designed 1/2 inch Superflute Gouge.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 06:13:17 PM »
Hi Simon,

I agree with Mark's post 100%, it's a HSS superflute gouge.  HT did use the light colour handles to indicate tools were carbon steel.  So as you bought it second hand, this would suggest / confirm to me your handle is not the original handle.  Perhaps the original dark stained beech handle was damaged at some time.  So no need for concern  :).

Below text is taken from a HT tools brochure.

The colour of the handle readily identifies our turning tools.  Carbon steel tools are readily identified with the hardwood yellow tone handles, high speed steel with dark stained beech handles.

Turning Tool Handles
Carefully designed and finished in English hardwood. Turning tools can be supplied with or without handles.
Prefix T- Carbon Steel Prefix
HS-High Speed Steel[/right][/pre]

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »

HS1 is the code for the Peter Child designed 1/2 inch Superflute Gouge.

Damn... we need some more letters :-)

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:47 AM »
A simple search for Henry Taylor HS1 shows this page.
https://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/chisels.html
confirming Mark's post that the HS1 is the code and nothing to do with the steel. Other manufacturers use similar schemes, for example Hamlet Craft Tools use HCTnn to identify their tools.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 07:38:39 AM »
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you thought about sending photos (all round handle & blade) to Henry Taylor Tools Ltd (sales@henrytaylortools.co.uk) and asking them directly?

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 07:51:47 AM »
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you thought about sending photos (all round handle & blade) to Henry Taylor Tools Ltd (sales@henrytaylortools.co.uk) and asking them directly?

Yes - have done this.  However, often there is a greater collective knowledge on forums such as this than in the companies themselves when it comes to brand history / superseded items!

Thanks
Simon

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
As I said earlier, do a spark test. The difference between HSS and carbon steel should be obvious.